Active Now

Element 99
CosmicWunderkind
Discussion » Questions » Jobs » Is your job or career something other than what a parent wanted you to do?

Is your job or career something other than what a parent wanted you to do?

My dad was supportive of the career choices that my brother and I made but he wasn't really happy about my half brother's career choice.

My mom wanted me to grow up to be a parochial school teacher.  lol.  I grew up to be a truck driver.

My mom wanted my brother to grow up to be a pastor.  He grew up to be a lineman.

My mom also wanted my half brother to grow up to be a pastor.  He was unemployed for most of the time after he graduated from high school but now he works in the prison industry!  I might even have some of his work attached to the front and back of my car!  Yeah, definitely a disappointing career choice there!

Posted - September 21, 2016

Responses

• "You betcha!"  ... Mother wanted me to be an architect and my Father wanted me to be successful. (Zero for two)

September 21, 2016 8:58 PM MDT

No. I found out too late what I'd wanted to do... My career is something my dad said would be a good choice for me. I was lost back then, so I was like why the hell not?
      September 22, 2016 12:28 AM MDT

My parents just wanted me to go to college.  Anything after that was up for grabs.

September 22, 2016 12:41 AM MDT

When I went to law school, my mother asked if that would allow me to be a legal secretary.  I said yes.  She was pleased.  :)

September 22, 2016 9:54 AM MDT

my parents let us decide for ourselves what we wanted to do

September 24, 2016 7:25 PM MDT