Active Now

Chief Ten Beers
Discussion » Questions » Legal » Can someone please explain something to me?

Can someone please explain something to me?

How can destroying businesses, looting and violence be considered protesting?  Protesting and rioting are two different things. Protesting is taking a stand against something, rioting is just pure violence. I can understand the cause but not the actions. 

Posted - September 23, 2016

Responses

September 23, 2016 8:16 AM MDT

It isn't protesting.  It's stealing and violence against businesses who didn't do a thing against you.

Burning cars is ridiculous also.  What has that got to do with protesting a shooting?

September 23, 2016 11:51 AM MDT

• Causing all this chaos does not make anyone sympathetic to your cause. I just done't understand all the violence and destruction. 

September 23, 2016 6:58 PM MDT

• That's all they are doing. I heard reports that around %70 were not even from Charlotte. 

September 23, 2016 6:59 PM MDT

The actions are senseless, but ppl and angry, so I do and can understand that.
      September 23, 2016 7:49 PM MDT

Wow, there's a lot of willful blindness in the other answers here.

If your kid misbehaves, you maybe give him a verbal warning. If he misbehaves again, do you give him another verbal warning or do you escalate to a timeout or maybe a loss of privileges? Yeah, I thought so.

If a citizen is convicted of a crime, he might receive a relative light or suspended sentence the first time. If he commits another crime, he is likely to get a stronger sentence. And if he commits a crime a 3rd time, some states (such as California) mandate a 25 years-to-life in prison sentence.

So, a cop shoots an unarmed African-American. Other African-Americans peacefully protest, write letters to politicians, etc. Another cop shoots another unarmed African-American. Other African-Americans peacefully protest, write letters to politicians, etc. And yet ANOTHER cop shoots yet ANOTHER unarmed African-American...and people are shocked, SHOCKED that African-Americans are not willing to repeat the same ineffective level of protest they engaged in before.

Note: that does NOT mean I condone their behavior. I UNDERSTAND it, because it is DEAD F***ING SIMPLE to understand if you admit the reality of the situation. But I don't condone it.

If someone has a reasonable suggestion about how to get cops to stop shooting unarmed Nig...er, poor/urban/ethnic people when peaceful protest has clearly been ineffective at mitigating the problem, I'm all ears. But to pretend that you don't understand why an abused population reacts to its abuse with violence is simply nonsense.

September 23, 2016 8:17 PM MDT

Those are thugs for hire.  They are bused in and paid.  I don't know who is providing them this time because I have 't read a word about it but moveon.org sometimes is the provider of bused in thugs.

September 23, 2016 9:42 PM MDT

not sure but i dont think it solves anything

September 24, 2016 4:55 PM MDT

• One of the officers said over 70% of rose arrested were not from there. I will look into it and see what I can come up with.
      September 24, 2016 5:24 PM MDT

• The latest videos show that Scott did have a gun. Are the police supposed to just let the criminals shoot them? What I don't understand is why these are called protests when they are nothing but riots. 

September 25, 2016 6:31 AM MDT

I guess it's because people become fed up with no action being taken by the government when it comes to their cause, so they take action against the government the only way they can which would be by destroying businesses that generate money for the government. I'm not saying I agree with it, but I can understand the actions. I don't understand physical violence towards other people though, but if we're just talking about destroying businesses, etc, then like I say, I can understand that.

Understand != Agree.

September 23, 2016 4:21 AM MDT

They are not protesting. They are breaking and entering, stealing and can other criminal activities.

Makes no sense to break into a business that had nothing to do the the police actions they are mad about. If the police do something wrong in my town why would someone break in to my business? Because they are criminals who found an excuse to be a thief. They should go to jail.
      September 23, 2016 5:21 AM MDT

Let me guess they were protesting all the black on black crime and the senseless killings going on in black communities throughout the country every day, especially in Chicago? Were they protesting the fact that a huge majority of black children grow up with no fathers in the home? Oh it must have been the high unemployment in black communities especially by those who are under age of 30? I guess they were protesting all the vulgar "lyrics" in a huge amount of "songs" released by rap artists? Better yet, were they protesting the effect of the lack of quality schools in many black communities? Must have been the amount of illegal drugs flowing within many neighborhoods throughout this country? Maybe it is all the violence in video games wrecking many child and "adult" minds every day?

Let me guess they were protesting the wide open southern border of the US and they are feeling unsafe? I guess it was maybe the nearly 20 trillion dollars in federal debt that has been hoisted upon them and their grandchildren? Could it be they are protesting all the Christian, Jewish and Muslim lives being lost in the Middle East every day due to Islamic terrorism? It could be the three recent Islamic terror attacks in the US over the weekend? I am guessing it has to be one of the above scenarios for people to get so violent? I guess all the above serious problems have finally tipped certain people over the edge?

Having said this I still believe rioting is NOT the answer, ever! ...... Oh I guess it was man made climate change which is probably causing all these problems above, I guess that is the biggest problem this country faces today, after all the President said it right? The President has done a great deal to solve problems for the black community and Americans in general, you would agree right? I got to give this President credit, he sure has united this country and given all citizens the knowledge to prioritize what is important in life. What a legacy this man leaves behind....
      September 23, 2016 6:14 AM MDT

A smart protest does not destroy positive image of protestors and instead makes them understood and can show the lack of morality of the other side that they are protesting against. Rioting is of course not a smart protest and I have suspicion that certain groups are lead to riot exactly to destroy their image and to be divisive.The riot shows the ugliness of a group in a way that can not be denied and is effective at making people hate and distrust that group.

September 23, 2016 6:18 AM MDT

"Hey,"  They may think, "Since too many people are breaking too many laws to enforce, we could just break into Wall Mart and take some of that stuff we've been wanting. Who's with me?"

"Yeah, I'll take that 55" HD television." One says.

"I'd sure would like to give my daughter a microwave." Another chimes in.

"Let's go."  The crowd yells in unison. "They can't arrest us all!"

September 23, 2016 6:30 AM MDT

September 23, 2016 8:15 AM MDT