Active Now

Malizz
Spunky
Discussion » Questions » Education » Does this news item shock you? See below. It may be old news to you, but I'm seeing it for the first time, and I can't believe it actually happened.

Does this news item shock you? See below. It may be old news to you, but I'm seeing it for the first time, and I can't believe it actually happened.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/little-rock-school-district-now-teachers-wear-underwear-030208103.html?ref=gs

Posted - September 24, 2016

Responses

Shock? No, not shock. It is expected that when you give someone authority, they are going to make hoops for everybody to jump through. When the federal government was first given authority to enact taxes, they enacted a tax exactly like the one that sparked the revolution, and when the people refused to  pay, G. Washington personally led the army there to collect the tax at gunpoint. Google "whiskey rebellion" for the story. Likewise, school districts have demonstrated that citizens have no control over them and can not refuse to pay for their crummy services, so they can just do anything they want.

September 24, 2016 11:27 PM MDT

September 24, 2016 11:46 PM MDT

• But teachers having to be ordered to wear panties to school? Come on, Jewels, did the system deteriorate so much that women teachers would choose not to be dressed properly?
    I think it's shameful that such a directive even had to be issued. 

What next? Inspection? "Come on, ladies, skirts up." ???

September 25, 2016 12:28 AM MDT

One symptom of impending cultural collapse is a general rejection of traditional morality and all standards of excellence. It is not a matter of proper dress, it is a demonstration of authority.

ETA: I am reminded of a news item a few years ago about a principal who blockaded the entrance to the prom, demanding to inspect the girls' panties before she (female principal) would let them enter.

September 25, 2016 1:11 AM MDT

The only thing I find shocking about it is that a trained professional would have to be required to wear underwear.

September 25, 2016 1:57 AM MDT

It's shocking for me too!

September 25, 2016 3:01 AM MDT

Women used to go commando normally just because it was such a nuisance trying to go potty with all that fabric in the way. The trend to shorter dresses makes it both possible and necessary to wear underpants. What's new is the application of authority where social judgment used to be enough.

September 25, 2016 3:10 AM MDT

Spot on!

September 25, 2016 3:50 AM MDT

•   September 25, 2016 8:41 AM MDT

• I'm sorry, Jewels, I disagree with you. There is something called dress propriety, and it's especially important in a school, whatever be the age of children attending it.

And if authority has to exercised to ensure compliance, then so be it.

Indeed I would go a step further and say that dress propriety must be insisted upon for teachers and students at college level too.

September 25, 2016 8:45 AM MDT

I think it is sad that such a code would be required this means quite a few teachers were dressing inappropriately for class.
      September 25, 2016 9:08 AM MDT

• I agree with you entirely. There is something called dress propriety, and it's especially important in a school, whatever be the age of children attending it.

And if authority has to exercised to ensure compliance, then so be it.

Indeed I would go a step further and say that dress propriety must be insisted upon for teachers and students at college level too.

September 25, 2016 9:31 AM MDT

almost hate to say this, but it's the SOUTH, remember? they're always the first to ban books, etc., etc., and to me are generally, GENERALLY not all....closed-minded to such things.

but I did digress and I apologize.......but underwear for teachers? as I said, it's the SOUTH people.....the south, great & glorious as it was.

on a personal note, I worked with a guy who wore boxers and always had a nice view of it movin' around inside his underpants...wow made my day every day!!!!!!!  LOL..

February 4, 2017 8:22 AM MST