Active Now

Danilo_G
my2cents
Slartibartfast
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Computers and the Internet » Is AnswerMug going to be another AnswerBag?

Is AnswerMug going to be another AnswerBag?

m

Posted - September 28, 2016

Responses

Let us hope not. But I rather dont think so. AB had endless technical problems from the very beginning caused by an unusual and overambitious database structure that was never really implemented to the point where it worked. Sofar AM seems to have avoided that. The huge nr of questions asked may some day make something like that look desirable though. This post was edited by JakobA the unAmerican. at September 28, 2016 11:46 PM MDT
      September 28, 2016 10:41 PM MDT

I wouldn't know what AB was like. I never had heard about the place before I got here. Anyway aM will be aM and it's users, us!
      September 28, 2016 11:38 PM MDT

I don't think so. AB was great in a lot of ways. I really loved it, but I think a lot of the big corporate sites lose heart. The AB that I knew probably wasn't the one the old timers did... It wasn't Joel's creation once demand media got it. They wanted money. I don't think they ever cared about his intent behind it.

We did have some issues with the migration, but I will get the worked out as best as I can. I went into detail about why we faced the challenges we did with the migration in my blog, so I won't bother with it here, but the other thing that makes us different is that I want to be a member first. I only admin the site because I have to to keep it going, but I'm here and I do this because I love aM. I'm emotionally invested in its success.
      September 28, 2016 11:52 PM MDT

• No.  

AB was the way it was due to an undeniable lack of management interest and investment.

I don't see that happening here.
      September 29, 2016 4:08 AM MDT

• I sure hope not.  I would prefer AM stays true to itself instead of being a replication of something else.  AB had it's time and that's in the past.  
      September 29, 2016 4:36 AM MDT

• Answerbag was bought by a former member and will be reopening on Oct 20.  I guess we will just have to wait and see. 
      September 29, 2016 4:41 AM MDT

In what context?
      September 29, 2016 2:08 PM MDT

no, i think it'll be doing its own thing
      October 2, 2016 8:54 PM MDT