Discussion » Questions » answerMug » Lost Features

Lost Features

E-posted notifications.

These used to have direct links to AM - you still had to sign in but at least the links worked. They no longer work. The most recent was from Just Asking, and reads "Click here to reply / profile / 145." It is not a link, and I have not been able to find the message on Am itself.

The message does not tell me how to find "/profile/145". It does not tell me whose profile.  Why have those links been cut and why do notifications still carry an instruction to use them?

Member Index

The list is and always was purely random by default, but offered Aphabetical and Recent sorting options. You could find individuals on the Membership list by choosing "Alphabetical", estimating which page number carrying the name, then homing in from there by the page-number arrows.

Why have these index options been removed? 

X

Posted - October 4, 2016

Responses

• I have found the same problem with no link to aM from notifications of replies to questions.
    Notifications of personal messages and replies to blogs are linked.

Never knew about the member list let alone the capacity to choose a means of quick finding, that would have been handy.

What I would like is a button-link on all pages to a tutorial guide for all the features and how to use them.
      October 4, 2016 3:15 AM MDT

I created the FAQ section prior to launch and it has most of the answers there, but it's all stuff I thought people might need help with, which may differ from what they really do. As people have asked questions here, I've been updating it, so feel free to shoot me your questions by email and I will update the FAQ more.

You cand find the FAQ under "Home" in the main menu and the results will also show up if you use the search in the black bar at the top of the page. 

I don't see me adding in a page by page tutorial, at least not quickly enough to be able to help everyone settle in, but I can keep adding to the FAQ until we get everything nailed that people might ask.

October 4, 2016 12:10 PM MDT

• Thank you ! :D
      October 4, 2016 10:18 PM MDT

I wrote a blog that goes more in depth than I will here, but the shortened version is that we didn't "remove" anything. We built from scratch. Some things were intentionally left out of the rebuild and some are glitch issues.

As for the links you're referring to, it's unclear where you're seeing them. If you're referring to the links that come via email, that is on our list to fix. They're not supposed to link to a member profile at all. They're supposed to link to the content. We have a small team making corrections and they are getting to everything as quickly as they can, so please be patient. For now, your on-site notifications will have to do.

On the member list, run a search with no options checked. It will put them in alphabetical order. Putting them in alphabetical order wasn't something we considered because there are a bazillion ways to search for someone, but I can slate that as a future development option once we get past the growing pains.

October 4, 2016 3:22 AM MDT

Thank you both!

Now, the notification of Hartdfire's reply here did have a working link. That from Just Asking earlier today did not. Yet both of them announced replies to questions.

I know these links were never to profiles but to discussions. It's just occurred to me that perhaps the above relates to whether I had already signed-in so I looked back at the e-mails, but sure enough nothing has changed there. So there's something odd going on somewhere. 

The members list Hartfire mentions used to appear in various places as a panel of perhaps 15 or so thumbnails of avatars, and if you opened it, the sort-by choice would appear on the list's own home-page.

I could only ever find one way to search for an individual member apart from profile links from answers & blogs, and that was via the member list, using the options presently switched off. There were just 3 options: Random (default). Alphabetical and Most Recent (chronological, presumably).  So I've no idea where the (Bazillion - 3) ways all reside.
      October 4, 2016 3:52 AM MDT

• I'm having issues with the alerts as well. It will tell me someone replied to my post or comment but when I click on the alert, it takes to the last comment posted for that question. It should take me to what ever comment was made to mine. I have to search through everything on that particular question to find what the alert was alerting me to. That is almost as frustrating as not having alerts. On the old site, at least the My Recent Activity took me where I needed to go. 
      October 4, 2016 4:07 AM MDT

Every email for every possible action someone could take is is coded differently on our end, so it's possible we have them all correct except for one. It's also possible the dev already fixed it. All the ones in my inbox look correct right now, but if you get one that's wrong, please forward it to me at my gmail address (answermugger) or copy/paste the text into an email here for me.

As far as searching goes, we have a "Muggers" tab at the top of the page. That takes you to the listing of everyone, but it's also the one that likes to be refreshed before it will give you results when you do a custom search. The black bar at the top allows you to run searches as well and if you search for someone by name there, they should show up. If not, there are options to filter your search on the page, so you can see just Members. 
      October 4, 2016 12:05 PM MDT

• I was only aware that members currently online are displayed on the right side of the page - used to be bottom right - now it's top right.
    But the old site had over two thousand members. I was never aware of any list where one could see them all.
      October 4, 2016 10:24 PM MDT

It depended on what page you were on. On the home page, it just had the box with active profiles. On any other page, there was a link below it that said "view all."
      October 4, 2016 10:33 PM MDT

Thank you.

The e-mailed announcement of your latest contribution does carry a working link to here, so perhaps that problem's been solved!

I'll have a look at the searching methods you describe.

October 4, 2016 2:28 PM MDT

Found it!

It's not immediately obvious, as I was looking for a button on the end of the Search bar, but having selected Muggers then typed a name in the bar, pressing [Enter] worked!

October 4, 2016 2:35 PM MDT