Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Politics » What changes would you like to see in political debates?

What changes would you like to see in political debates?

I'd like to see the debaters in glass sound proof booths and the only time their mikes would be on is when it's their turn to respond (they would still hear ever thing that was going on). It would also be nice if they had a big screen that displayed a fact check and a graph bar that displayed how related the response was to the question. Maybe the big screen could also display a frowney face ever time a debater says something rude. Cheers!

Posted - October 5, 2016

Responses

How about a complete cast-overhaul? Let's get some new characters. lol
      October 5, 2016 8:19 PM MDT

The last one I saw I thought that both candidates wanted to talk about what people really cared about but the moderator wanted them to talk about other stuff. That made it less than it should be. Let them speak for some time about what they want to speak about and not just answer questions.
      October 5, 2016 8:44 PM MDT

• How about 240 volts wired between their toes and connected to a computer fact checker .. you lie and zap... Not enough to kill, but enough to either learn or to keep quiet ... Would turn it into even more if a spectator sport
      October 5, 2016 11:27 PM MDT

Can we have the same here in. The political questions? Please?

JA, can we?

October 5, 2016 11:37 PM MDT

• In the US they use 110V or 115V, which is much milder.
      October 20, 2016 7:08 PM MDT

• Yep that's true .. and possibly more dangerous .. 240 has more of a muscle contacting aspect to it so it often tends to throw you off any live wires ... But it doesn't ....
      October 20, 2016 8:29 PM MDT

• I saw all three debates. Whereas the responses to a question on any issue should ideally be "it-it-it" or at most "me-me-me" (i.e. what the speaker would do about that particular issue), it unfortunately turned out to be a continual derogatory finger-pointing exercise, viz. "she-she-she" or (to a slightly lesser extent) "he-he-he".
    Also, there was hardly anything  in the third debate (except for the GDP query, which sadly came in at the fag end) that we hadn't heard in the second.

This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at October 20, 2016 7:06 PM MDT
      October 20, 2016 7:05 PM MDT

Given that almost any political issue of import CANNOT be rationally discussed in 2-minute sound bites, I think the whole format should be scrapped.

October 20, 2016 8:47 PM MDT

Have children ask them question. Children are real. No beating around the table. Children will tell it like it is. Adults do not like children to ask question or answer question. It put adults on the spot and adults do not like that. Children are good in reading adults. They know who real, scam, fake, joke, liar.  This post was edited by BlueJay at October 20, 2016 8:55 PM MDT
      October 20, 2016 8:49 PM MDT

• Nanoose I like your idea, and I think it would be well supported by viewers.
    I'd like to see the candidates actually debate their policies, real debate, as in debating societies and competitions.
      October 21, 2016 6:24 AM MDT