Active Now

Danilo_G
Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » What gives people the tendency to self-destruct? What does that kind of destruction look like?

What gives people the tendency to self-destruct? What does that kind of destruction look like?

Posted - October 6, 2016

Responses

not pretty.
    People hung up in a thought structure that they have solidified
    with no way out in their mind...just part of the picture
      October 6, 2016 5:44 PM MDT

... What if that's me in the picture? Sometimes I feel like I'm really close to escaping, breaking through to the other side, then I get sucked in again and the cycle repeats. I am waiting for waiting for waiting for waiting--there it is. The Cycle. 
      October 6, 2016 5:49 PM MDT

with a proven method
    to break on through 
    to the other side
    the rewards 
    can be experienced instantaneously.
    they are just there...waiting, waiting waiting 
      October 6, 2016 6:31 PM MDT

I think it is literally a spiraling out of control. People are deeply disturbed by their inability to control certain outcomes and to such an extent, they often forget about the little control they have... control over themselves. The neglect this duty and before they know it they're in full on self-destruct mode.

It isn't as if people wake up and say: "I think I'll self-destruct today, spiral out of control and spend several years trying come out of that dark pit." It happens slowly and surprisingly, they never see it coming.
      October 6, 2016 6:31 PM MDT

Define "self-destruct".  I know people who have done so by the measure of most people...yet not by their own.  I've also seen people hit rock bottom and get back up, only to have life...or death, smack 'em down again.  

It's never easy watching people "self-destruct" by our definition of the term, particularly those close to us.  I have learned, though, that what I thought of as their life imploding was to a few very liberating.  Some people are simply not built to live by society's standards.
      October 6, 2016 7:22 PM MDT

I can't say that any better.  

I agree completely and yes, it's incredibly painful to watch someone close to go into a spiral by their own hand so to speak.
      October 6, 2016 10:12 PM MDT

Indeed. And as someone who occasionally rides one of those spirals myself, it's even harder to see 'cause I have some idea of what it's like.
      October 11, 2016 2:54 PM MDT

Having any self awareness is a good step in the right direction.  
      October 11, 2016 2:56 PM MDT

Very true. And that's something I'm working on with myself at the moment actually.
      October 11, 2016 2:59 PM MDT

• Well said.
      October 6, 2016 7:30 PM MDT

October 6, 2016 10:17 PM MDT

I like that! Can't help my ways, though. I am a thinker. The world needs thinkers, too. It's too bad it's too hard not to get down. I do feel different today, if that means anything. 
      October 7, 2016 1:26 PM MDT

I've liked it for a very long time, now.  Sure it means something. :)  
      October 7, 2016 3:43 PM MDT

Lack of control over life. Realizing our own mistakes. Anger, frustration.
      October 7, 2016 8:34 AM MDT

• It's just so much fun. 
      October 7, 2016 1:28 PM MDT

probably cause they dont want to be here
      October 9, 2016 9:45 PM MDT