Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Emotions » Have you ever tried Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR)? What did you think?

Have you ever tried Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR)? What did you think?

It's a psychotherapeudic technique that is supposed to help you get over scars from your childhood. I'm thinking of giving it a try.

Posted - October 8, 2016

Responses

They say it's easier than having to talk through your issues. It's not. Personally, I prefer to keep my memories repressed. I did one session of it and vowed never again. Then, I grabbed some boxes, duct tape, boards, and nails and I wrapped those memories up so tight they'd never see the light of day again. 

FYI it's supposed to help with any traumatic experience, not just childhood scars.
      October 8, 2016 9:06 PM MDT

I'm not certain compartmentalization is any healthier than reviewing or dwelling upon past traumas.  I like to know what's motivating my behavior (especially on a subconscious level)...but that's just me.
      October 9, 2016 1:46 AM MDT

Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR) is a psychotherapy treatment that was originally designed to alleviate the distress associated with traumatic memories (Shapiro, 1989a, 1989b). Shapiro’s (2001) Adaptive Information Processing model posits that EMDR therapy facilitates the accessing and processing of traumatic memories and other adverse life experience to bring these to an adaptive resolution. After successful treatment with EMDR therapy, affective distress is relieved, negative beliefs are reformulated, and physiological arousal is reduced. During EMDR therapy the client attends to emotionally disturbing material in brief sequential doses while simultaneously focusing on an external stimulus. https://www.emdr.com/frequent-questions/

It does not help you understand what's motivating your behavior. It's for people who already understand that their traumatic experiences are causing issues to help them overcome them- it's usually done in conjunction with traditional therapy. In theory, it's supposed to "heal" your wounds without having to discuss them and it's supposed to speed up traditional talk therapy. But, as I noted, and as the description I quoted noted, you actually have to process the event(s) mentally. In my case, this meant reliving them. No thanks. One time around was enough for me. The second time was not any better. I'll be damned if I'm going through it a third time- after all EMDR requires many sessions. 
      October 9, 2016 12:30 PM MDT

Understood.

Understand as well, please, that I wasn't commenting on EMDR, but on the general idea of compartmentalization.  I get that some traumas are too horrendous to be relived, but as a general rule an integrated mind is more functional than one which is not.

Regardless, I meant no offense.
      October 9, 2016 3:06 PM MDT

no, i never even heard of it
      October 9, 2016 8:40 PM MDT