Active Now

Malizz
Element 99
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Relationships » online romance

online romance

Never again! Just had one fall apart and it just tears you apart. 
I'm not planning on making any return trips back to that well...

Posted - October 10, 2016

Responses

That's a shame. Me and my online love have been around for nine years. We know we will never meet each other, but we support each other. She is my heart and soul more than my wife and I are.
      October 10, 2016 9:07 PM MDT

That's awesome! I'm really happy to hear it can actually work. 

Where did you meet?
      October 10, 2016 9:12 PM MDT

At answerbag. We are soulmates. No sex stuff involved.
      October 10, 2016 9:15 PM MDT

That's so cool mate. Big congrats!
      October 10, 2016 9:17 PM MDT

• Oh wow!
      October 12, 2016 11:09 PM MDT

I met my boyfriend on OKCupid. We haven't had a single argument and I've known him since Feb. I'm planning on moving in with him once I finish college. Just gotta hold out for four more years :)
      October 10, 2016 9:23 PM MDT

I hope the time flies for you! 
      October 11, 2016 12:47 AM MDT

No matter what happens to whom, I always know that I am only talking to my computer. I have to imagine that there is an actual person responding.
      October 10, 2016 9:30 PM MDT

It's hard when things falls apart. I've had a few and said to myself like you previously. Now I'm just saying I'm not looking for them but if they happen, they happen and I'll try to make the most out of it.

all my best to you. Take your time getting back on your feet. :-)
      October 10, 2016 11:10 PM MDT

Thank you for your support. It all happened so quickly. Too quickly probably. :/
    I like your philosophy though. I might try and adopt it myself. 
      October 11, 2016 12:45 AM MDT

The abruptly broken relationships are devastating, no matter if they happen with a love, a friendship, online or offline. They hit us hard and by surprise. Your post makes me remember all to clear the feelings that still haunts me down in the more introspective moments.
      October 11, 2016 12:50 AM MDT

• Time for a reality check ... Sorry if this sounds harsh :)
     it happens in real life too ... sad to say ... But that is life my friend ... Think of them more of a friendship or a dalliance ... expect nothing but enjoy what you find knowing that life is ephemeral ..  Enjoy the moments you do have. .. As you do in real life
      October 11, 2016 1:17 AM MDT

• So true :-)
      October 12, 2016 11:11 PM MDT

Isn't that the truth. 
      October 12, 2016 11:21 PM MDT

I have found there not to be a 'line' that you cross.
    l have often tried to remember the tipping point.
    And haven't found one.
    Lines are constantly re drawn.

October 11, 2016 1:08 PM MDT

I have found there not to be a 'line' that you cross.
    l have often tried to remember the tipping point.
    And haven't found one.
    Lines are constantly re drawn.

October 11, 2016 1:08 PM MDT

Well, alrighty then. 
      October 11, 2016 5:58 PM MDT

• Delete your Tinder account.
      October 11, 2016 6:00 PM MDT

• Awww  ((HUGS)) know what you're going through.
      October 12, 2016 11:10 PM MDT

They do happen then? That may seem a strange or sarcastic question but I don't mean it that way.

I have tried written, telephone and Internet dating-agencies, but only briefly, soon realising they are generally cynical, manipulative, greedy parasites profiting from those unable to find a partner in the normal way. 

"On-line romances" are too risky. You have no idea of the bona-fide of the other person unless and until you actually meet; it is too easy for one to break the fragile "relationship" simply by a terse text-message or by account deletion. I don't think them worth the risk. 

That said, I do know one, maybe two, couples who met through one or another agency, but perhaps we might wonder how romances started even just a few decades ago, before the growth of today's rampant, agoraphobic desire to shelter behind boxes of electronics.

Such couples met personally: at parties or in evening-classes, work, shared hobbies, church groups, voluntary work, etc. Even sometimes by pure chance. Indeed, with one exception, I met my girlfriends in some of those ways, and most of the married couples I know met in person, not by digital artifice. My own exception was my replying to a local newspaper "lonely-hearts" ad, placed individually, not in one of those dreadful premium-rate telephone services.

I forget who, but one leading Hollywood star apparently replies to anyone asking his choice of social-network site with, "Face-to-Face". Indeed! Especially for finding love.

October 20, 2016 5:30 PM MDT