Active Now

Malizz
CosmicWunderkind
Discussion » Questions » Electronics » The Samsung Note 7 kept catching on fire. It has been recalled and production stopped. Did you have one? Did it catch on fire?

The Samsung Note 7 kept catching on fire. It has been recalled and production stopped. Did you have one? Did it catch on fire?

The strange thing is that the Samsung engineers couldn't make any of theirs catch on fire. What might cause that?

Posted - October 12, 2016

Responses

Wasn't it a problem with the battery? I can't think how the circuits themselves would catch fire because the currents they draw are so low.

I suppose it's possible Samsung's engineers were using batteries from a different batch or even maker, without this problem.
      February 26, 2017 8:48 PM MST

I don't remember Durdle. It just seemed so odd to me that it happened out in the field among customers but couldn't be duplicated in the lab. Thank you for your reply and Happy Monday! :)
      February 27, 2017 2:52 AM MST

• It was due to faulty batteries. I never had one, but I guy I work with did. His never caught on fire but he did get the replacement for it. 
      February 27, 2017 3:17 AM MST

The batteries probably all came from one source and production run so the fault may have been repeated in very many units until discovered; but had not arisen in previous batches, and not since.
      February 27, 2017 7:44 AM MST