Discussion » Questions » Legal » Is there anything I can do about construction workers outside my window at midnight almost every night when they have a permit for it.

Is there anything I can do about construction workers outside my window at midnight almost every night when they have a permit for it.

I cant afford to move cause im in low income housing and dont have a job. Im in school now and theres been construction going on every night till midnight except for wknds. Im in school and need my sleep, monday night they had trucks outside going beep beep for hrs really loud, they dont bother me so much if theyre just hammering cause i can turn my fan on and wear earplugs, but the beep beep goes over the noise of my fan. last night i got lucky cause it rained and they left. unfortunately , its not going to rain every night. bad enough i get woken up early but this midnight stuff is too much, any suggestions? filing a complaint dont help cause they have a permit that says they can do it at all hrs. Im exhausted from all this and hoping I dont get sick from lack of sleep.

Posted - October 12, 2016

Responses

You live in town and they have permit that says they can work loudly all night?  Did you see the permit?  Did someone tell you that? I have never seen a permit that specifies you can work all night. 

Call the city and see if they are actually allowed to be loud all night long.  If the city say No, ask them what you are supposed to do if they are loud.  Call the police about the noise? 
      October 12, 2016 2:07 PM MDT

Ive already been emailing the city counsel, I talked to a police woman who said they have a permit to do it at anytime, sometimes i think the construction guys were lying to the police. the other night i did call the non emergency number to talk to them about it.
      October 12, 2016 2:37 PM MDT

There should be a noise ordance for your town.  Even if the permit says they can work at all hours, it should not permit them to violate the noise ordance.

Call the city if they are not answering the emails.
      October 12, 2016 2:41 PM MDT

wish i could send them your way but i doubt theyd go
      October 12, 2016 2:38 PM MDT

Legally? Prolly not.

I figure your best options are to stay with family/friends until the construction is completed and/or invest in sound abatement materials.  Think acoustic tiles or foam.  Noise cancelling headphones might help as well.  If this were me I'd be visiting home depot with a list of supplies necessary to build a 'dome of silence.'

This post was edited by Transquesta at October 12, 2016 2:28 PM MDT
      October 12, 2016 2:25 PM MDT

I dont have family or friends i can stay with, ive just ordered headseats for people that go hunting, same with those kind of earplugs too, hoping that will help
      October 12, 2016 2:39 PM MDT

You're just one of the "little people". No one with the power to do anything about it will pay any attention to you.

But . . . this aggravating cacophony is probably bothering others in your neighborhood as well. So if you really want it to stop do a bit of leg work and start contacting your neighbors to see if they're being annoyed by it. If even a few are then start a petition to your city fathers to have it stopped. Get local media involved too. This could be the kind of public interest story that they would cover.

Good luck!
      October 12, 2016 3:36 PM MDT

Earplugs. It'll solve the problem with your noisy neighbor as well. This post was edited by Just Asking at October 12, 2016 7:13 PM MDT
      October 12, 2016 7:01 PM MDT

Pearl, the answer is still no.  You've asked a couple of times before.  Inner city construction attempts to interrupt the flow of city commerce as little as possible during the business day.  They are probably working full on overnight.  Have you inquired as to the estimated time of completion of the project.  That would at least give you something to look forward to.  Good luck.
      October 12, 2016 8:59 PM MDT