Discussion » Questions » answerMug Members » was it PT Barnum who said never underestimate the stupidity of people?

was it PT Barnum who said never underestimate the stupidity of people?

I was just reading on a tech site about a viral YouTube video on how to install the missing headphone jack ... The one apple didn't fit!
It involves drilling a hole in your brand new iPhone 7 in a certain location... The internal jack is there you just need to expose it.
Seems a lot of people have phones that now don't work .. geewizz, I wonder why?
Are we losing the ability to think critically?

Posted - October 12, 2016

Responses

Oh my.
      October 12, 2016 3:55 PM MDT

Einstein said something similar. I don't know about iPhones except they burn up in pockets and aircraft.
      October 12, 2016 4:15 PM MDT

• Einstein was quoted with " hydrogen and stupidity... The two most abundant elements in the universe" ... One of my favourite quotes :)
      October 12, 2016 4:17 PM MDT

Actually that was science fiction writer Harlan Ellison (or Frank Zappa if you're more into clever music). But Einstein did say: "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." This post was edited by Salt and Red Pepper at October 12, 2016 5:11 PM MDT
      October 12, 2016 5:07 PM MDT

• I hope you realise you've destroyed my morning now :)
     Thanks for the correction. :)
      October 12, 2016 5:32 PM MDT

Well, now I feel bad about that. That certainly wasn't my goal, to destroy your morning.

I do believe that Einstein has been credited with that quote by various authors from time to time. It is interesting to see how many of those old quotes are now attributed to the wrong sources though. I've got a book on that very subject floating around the old library, which is how I know about the discrepancy.
      October 13, 2016 12:44 AM MDT

• I spoke in jest my friend .. I have no issue being told I'm wrong, none at all :)... It's how we learn the truth do Thank you
      October 13, 2016 4:27 AM MDT

Apparently so, which can make another person go absolutely ballistic when the dumb bunny ruins everything.
    However.....If the person realizes the error of their ways, that is a real plus for them.  This post was edited by . at October 12, 2016 4:27 PM MDT
      October 12, 2016 4:26 PM MDT

The actual phrase is "no one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public". And it was H. L. Mencken that said that, not Barnum. But old P.T. gets credited for it a LOT. 

Next you'll be telling us that there's a Youtube video instructing people how to pour urine out of a boot. (Spoiler alert, the directions to do that are actually printed on the heel of every boot; just turn it over and read them.) Ah, the gullible. 
      October 12, 2016 5:05 PM MDT

• Lol... One thing I do know is never underestimate the collective intelligence and knowledge of Muggers ... Thank you!
      October 12, 2016 5:34 PM MDT