Active Now

Malizz
Thebigd
Discussion » Questions » Emotions » DREAMS - Do you ever remember yours? Are they ever vivid enough to set the tone of a day for you?

DREAMS - Do you ever remember yours? Are they ever vivid enough to set the tone of a day for you?

I had some terrible and disturbing dreams before I woke up this morning and I am still on the verge of tears. I tend to hold things inside these days, at least the real serious stuff.  A lot has happened in my real life over the last year that I can't easily talk about.  The death of my mother was maybe the easiest I could.  

I usually cope pretty well, not letting things pull me down for any length of time, but now I wonder if putting a smile on my face every day isn't causing it to come out in my sleep.

I am actually baffled that I went to bed in a good mood and after having these dreams, I am completely bummed out, thinking of all the things that make me sad.

Anyone else?

Posted - October 14, 2016

Responses

I, too, tend to have very vivid dreams.  I also have a few recurring dream themes, some of which I have had for years.  My dreams often have a hangover effect, such as you decribed going through today.  
      October 14, 2016 11:09 AM MDT

Thank goodness I am not alone with this.  It's really got me in a tizzy today.  I have always been a vivid dreamer, but some of this stuff feels so REAL when I wake up.  
      October 14, 2016 11:47 AM MDT

Yes, it does and can affect your mood throughout the day.  I have had many prescient dreams and I suppose that is partially to blame for me not being able to shake a bad dream.  

On a lighter note, occasionally I have woken myself up by literally laughing out loud, that mood stays with me all day, too.  When that happens, though, I rarely remember what was so funny, but whatever it is, it keeps me chuckling throughout the day.
      October 14, 2016 12:01 PM MDT

Boz, I do have premonitions that play out in dreams and it IS disturbing.  I supposed we both probably have a keep sense of what is around us and this is a reflection of it.

I do agree the good dreams I have can be outright decadent.  I have traveled to places in the world I have never seen in reality.  

October 14, 2016 1:21 PM MDT

Yes, it is disturbing, particularly when there is nothing you can do to change anything or when it is not quite clear what it means until it actually happens.  I have had a lot of dreams with my husband, 3 of my brothers and Dad, who have all passed, in them lately.  Those are not always bad dreams, but it can leave me unsettled at times, while other times they are almost like getting to spend time with them again.

Ha ha!  I've had a few that I will not share with anyone.
      October 14, 2016 3:04 PM MDT

I had a very strange dream once about a family member passing away and I could never stop thinking about it.  I dreamed that I would never get pregnant until a grandma passes away because I'm supposed to be her mother in her next life.

And so far I haven't become pregnant.

October 14, 2016 3:36 PM MDT

Are you trying to get pregnant?
      October 14, 2016 4:16 PM MDT

Yes
      October 15, 2016 7:26 PM MDT

I'm lucky as far as that goes.  Rarely do I remember my dreams. Usually by the time my head hits the pillow I am asleep quickly.  

I can't remember the last time I woke up remembering a dream. Maybe I sleep so well because I talk to you and LM if anything is bothering me.
      October 14, 2016 11:14 AM MDT

A lot of people don't really recall their dreams.   

I do sleep very well once I drift off.   Rarely do I wake up.  I hope these kinds of nightmares I am having don't keep coming.  They really leave me feeling so drained afterwards.
      October 14, 2016 11:50 AM MDT

• I have horrible dreams and I'm prone to lucid dreams where my subconscious mingles with my consiousness and creates horrible nightmares seem real AF.  They keep me awake sometimes for days and I feel like I'm going insane.

One dream that I had about 10 years ago that I still remember was that I will die in 2017. I can't shake it.

October 14, 2016 11:18 AM MDT

I have at times not been able to differentiate if I dreamed something or if it really happened.  I sometimes have to ask someone if it really happened or was I just dreaming...about half the time it was a dream, the other half it really happened.  

Whoa on your 2017 dream!
      October 14, 2016 11:25 AM MDT

• Have you ever had a good lucid dream? I have.  Those are fun, but you can;t depend on your dream going in that direction. Ughhhhhhhhhere  

Yep...2017 is the magic number.
      October 14, 2016 11:45 AM MDT

Yep.  I sometimes am aware I am dreaming and try to guide the dream in the direction I would like it to go...like life itself, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.  
    I have also often woken up in the middle of a dream that I really want to continue and am able to go back to sleep and pick the dream up again.

That's spooky!
      October 14, 2016 11:55 AM MDT

I know it!  Sometimes it feels like I completed a task, but in reality, I realize I didn't.  It's getting worse with age.  :(
      October 14, 2016 11:55 AM MDT

The first time I had to call and ask someone if something really happened or not I felt like a fool.  I am used to it now, though, and so are my family and friends.

October 14, 2016 12:04 PM MDT

Wow GJ.  I am sorry that yours are that pronounced.  I truly hope that one that really lurks in your waking hours as well will fade and of course not come true!!

I always found my dreams to be a blessing and a curse.  The good ones are so fabulous that I wake up with music in my head (sometimes songs and lyrics I actually composed in my sleep) and I feel invigorated.  The bad ones leave me highly agitated: this one downright depressed.

It's going to take a lot to get some pep in my step today.

October 14, 2016 11:54 AM MDT

My husband told me that he had a dream a few weeks ago that he would die on 1/11/2070.  That's way more generous than my dreams.

I had a dream that he died in a car accident heading north on the interstate by where we live at the southern exit for our town so I told him I want him to take a different way home even though it's a long way out of the way.
      October 14, 2016 3:28 PM MDT

• I have this feeling that no one will be live in 2070  :(

The car accident thing is pretty awful!

October 14, 2016 4:34 PM MDT

Sure I remember some of my dreams.  Some are very depressing and I wake up in a "down" mood.
      October 14, 2016 11:22 AM MDT

It's crazy to think a dream can really ruin a day, but an exceptionally bad one that was very realistic has me in a tailspin.  

Thanks for helping me not feel alone with this one.
      October 14, 2016 11:57 AM MDT

I don't remember my dreams. The last one I remember I was probably in 4th grade (30+ yr ago) something to do with bees.  
      October 14, 2016 11:25 AM MDT

I'm jealous.  LOL.  At least for today.  
      October 14, 2016 11:57 AM MDT

If I wake up with dreams that haunt me, I know that my consciousness has not dealt with something I need to process.  This is a trick of the mind.  You can fall into your fears and worries, or you can overcome this by just a little practice.  Nothing is happening NOW at this moment to make you feel a certain way.  It is YOUR choice.  You are addicted to the memories of your dreams having power over your frame of mind.

You are processing.  Do NOT let the overwhelming feelings of what you dreamed take over.  IT is merely a message from your consciousness.  You were happy, but your fears led you to a dream to PROVE to you that you are not happy and never can be because you are a slave to your mind.

I wake up every morning and no matter what?  I listen to a positive tape that allows me to become centered and myself and in control.   They are all over the internet and youtube.  Find one that suits you and use this tool.

The mind is YOUR slave not the other way around and if you want to control it, you need to do some exercises that you will stick with.  They work and when I do not do them for awhile, I find myself getting negative and worrying and wasting my day because it is easy to fall into that trap.

Here is a quick one, I have not used.   There are several on youtube where you can just google youtube meditation for positive thinking and you will find ones you may like a lot.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at October 14, 2016 12:20 PM MDT
      October 14, 2016 12:04 PM MDT