Active Now

Malizz
Randy D
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Television and Movies » What was Alfred Hitchcock's greatest movie? Reasons?

What was Alfred Hitchcock's greatest movie? Reasons?

Posted - October 16, 2016

Responses

Notorious hands down, Grant, Bergman, Rains, greatest cast you can get.
      October 16, 2016 7:04 PM MDT

• The Birds. Because I like birds and the premise of nature's revenge.
      October 16, 2016 8:57 PM MDT

Tammy, I am also a bird-lover and I cannot believe the swarms of idiots that are afraid of birds because of that movie.    I mean there are birds in the sky every moment of every day and you just decide to get afraid of  birds because of THAT?

Some people are in love with being afraid and like to make a big deal to anyone who will listen about their bogus fears. 
      October 16, 2016 9:00 PM MDT

I gotta go with Psycho because no other movie has scared me to the roots of my being like that one did.  It was the right time, before anything like that was ever filmed, and I was at the right age to see it and be deeply affected.  I was a kid for godsake and I had never been exposed to a a murder like that on the big screen; and I was in the show by myself because my grandma walked me to the movies and left before the main event even started.  She had no idea that I would be traumatized for years to come,   I  never took a shower alone in any house ever again.   Of course, now it is tame in comparison to what is now out there.  But, if you were around during that era, you would know what I mean. 

LOL

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at November 6, 2016 4:12 PM MST
      October 16, 2016 9:02 PM MDT

What a perfect way to see that movie! All the side details are perfect! Hitchcock would have loved your story I bet!
    :)

And I sort of disagree a bit -- if one watches and listens to this movie - - truly watches and listens - - this movie is in no way tame. PLOT SPOILER!!! That shower scene and entire movie hold up over time, IF one, again, takes the time to get to know the people in the movie.
    And Bernard Herrmann's original score for "Psycho" is the finest score to any movie I've seen.
    Just my take on it. I find the movie practically perfect, too. I can't choose one Hitch movie as the best right now. but "Sabotage" is WAY up there. This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at November 6, 2016 4:26 PM MST
      November 6, 2016 4:18 PM MST

His first American film, Rebecca.  This is also one of my favorite books, along with the sequel Mrs. DeWinter.

This post was edited by Thriftymaid at November 6, 2016 4:18 PM MST
      October 17, 2016 12:28 AM MDT

Wait! There's a sequel to that book? I never knew that! I am SO out of it!
      November 6, 2016 4:19 PM MST

It is called Mrs. deWinter.  It was not written by Du Maurier; it was written by Susan Hill.  I was thrilled when I found it too.  Now I want to read them both again.  The search is on. :)

Update:  I went online and found brand new hardback copies of both books.....from different sellers on ebay.   I'm thrilled.  All of my books got left behind when I moved and my daughter bought my old house.  Then I started buying books again.  Then I moved again and stored the books, still in boxes, in the storage closet where the water heater is located.  Yep.  Water heater went bad and that box of books got soaked.  At least it happened BEFORE I had my new place renovated.   Anyway, I used to have a library that filled a whole room (admittedly lots of law books) and now I have three shelves of a new bookcase filled.  I get sad every time I think about it.  So I try not to.  Finding these two brand new copies was really fun.  

Amazon.com This post was edited by Thriftymaid at November 7, 2016 10:44 AM MST
      November 6, 2016 7:09 PM MST

Believe it or not, I think I've only read parts of the original which makes me think I can add another book to my list of "to reads."
    That's quite a Books-Saga you've gone through. Yes, it is sad, too.

I just got back from buying a couple of books. I now have "Beach Music." I will start it later today. Happy to hear you found two new copies!
    :) This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at November 7, 2016 12:28 PM MST
      November 7, 2016 10:48 AM MST

I couldn't pick one as "greatest."

But if I were forced, I might choose 1936's "Sabotage."

After years of seeing (and re-watching) Hitch's "biggies," I watched this film of his, "Sabotage," and it blew me away in more ways than one.
    Suspense is unbearable, truly unbearable to me, at several points.
    And I like this movie so much, too, partly because I've read that this movie, of all his movies, has the ONLY scene that Hitch has said he would go back and change if he could. Ironically, I find it the best scene in the entire movie.
    :) This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at November 7, 2016 12:29 PM MST
      November 6, 2016 4:24 PM MST