Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » answerMug Members » Background Graphics

Background Graphics

Do you think that when members change their background graphics, that they ever go back to look at the finished product?  I kinna have my doubts.  If they did, wouldn't you think they'd realize that black text on a black background can't be read, or that when the background is so busy, even though it is a pretty design, it's a struggle to read the page?  Your thoughts?

Posted - October 16, 2016

Responses

yep
    totally agree
      October 16, 2016 8:08 PM MDT

I change it in between. I'm not always satisfied but do not necessarily have the time right there and then to make further changes. I'm still trying to understand which features will influence the different parts on the page. Anyway, it will be changed eventually, again. Next time I have the time.

Besides from that I don't think that many people are looking up our profile pages, why would they? This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at October 23, 2016 3:40 AM MDT
      October 17, 2016 5:25 AM MDT

I didn't notice this fact when I replied prior; however, you mentioned that you didn't think that many people look up profile pages, saying "why would they".  Apparently there are quite a few that do.   I guess you would have to ask the 972 people, so far, that have viewed your profile page to find out their reasons.  ;)

October 22, 2016 6:43 PM MDT

Huh, 972 people? I doubt, maybe views which I still don't get. I did find out one more thing, our profile pages will look differently on a PC/laptop and on a mobile device/tablet. For instance I chose fixed background in my current settings. I think this gives the reader a better chance to see the text as they scroll however, it's not fixed on my tablet and follows the text making some parts of it harder to read. I do however like to personalize my own page. I guess it will always be a compromise Like most other matters in life. Sorry.
      October 23, 2016 2:17 AM MDT

Yes views (people).  I think it said 978 the last time I checked it out from my laptop.

You sure don't need to apologize for doing what you want on your own page.  I was just curious why some people make it difficult to read a profile page that's been made public.  I thought it was so others could read it ;)
      October 23, 2016 2:45 AM MDT

Like said, different issues all depending on platform and what you want to express with your tailoring of your profile page. :-)
      October 23, 2016 3:40 AM MDT

Hi Sapphic, I've looked up profile pages, when I can't locate a specific thread but I know who was commenting on it.  It's faster than thumbing through all the questions.  I haven't found a streamlined method for locating a question I've commented on and I'm still stumbling through the site. 
      October 17, 2016 6:39 AM MDT

All your previous replies are on your own profile page. I guess that's way faster than looking up for instance my profile page. Another bonus, you decide your own background, keeping it reader friendly. :-) This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at October 23, 2016 3:40 AM MDT
      October 17, 2016 6:43 AM MDT

I had that problem with a friend from before the upgrade.  When I went to her page to re-friend her, I could hardly read anything.  I messaged her and she said she had no idea it looked like that and she changed it.  I have noticed that down at the bottom of the screen, just abot "Chat Now," the box that said someone is on or off line is gray on gray which makes it unreadable and it disappears in seconds. This post was edited by SpunkySenior at October 23, 2016 3:40 AM MDT
      October 18, 2016 1:50 PM MDT

I totally agree with not being able to see who is coming and going due to the colors.   Hopefully, that will eventually be corrected.

October 22, 2016 6:50 PM MDT

I normally look at people's profiles - I think it only polite to do so if you are engaging in a discussion or chat with them. It is difficult though when the background overcomes the words that are meant to be in the foreground. Perhaps putting the text in panels that keep the areas of background there, but toned down or brightened so the image becomes pale, would help. Might be better than deleting the background in those areas, because that could make the entire screen image very messy.  
      October 19, 2016 10:20 AM MDT

Haven't found the option to use transparency. 
      October 19, 2016 12:53 PM MDT

• That's why I  haven't customized mine yet.  I did play around with it but couldn't find a combination where all the text could be seen.  I spent over an hour on it and just have up. :( This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at October 23, 2016 3:40 AM MDT
      October 19, 2016 10:36 AM MDT

I don't think i varies from the old aM though.
      October 19, 2016 12:54 PM MDT

• There is a big difference.  
      October 19, 2016 2:19 PM MDT

I don't see it like that. We will have to disagree.
      October 19, 2016 2:22 PM MDT

I don't think it's changed, even if the controls have been modified. SapphicHeart's right that your profile lists your activity, but yes, you do have to trawl through the list to find specific threads, and if there's a quick way to leap to that thread I've not found it. It's also on your e-mails though I think you have to ask AM to notify you, and if anything that's more difficult to search for specific threads, though it names the last respondents. 

Not found transparency option - may mean there isn't one! I've not tried to customise my profile but I've not seen any need to do so. I don't know if the feature allows you to preview the results before publishing it, with an option to edit it so far and even return to the default appearance so you can start again if necessary, but that would be valuable.

Why might we look at others' profiles? It shows primarily your and their interests by groups and discussions joined, so you know where they overlap. I think if you know even that little bit more about the contributors with whom you discuss anything, including sometimes their sexes and nationalities, you can understand better their points of view.
      October 20, 2016 1:59 AM MDT

The quickest way to find back to a topic you've been taking part in is either to look up your own activity list, or to look up the questions eventually filtering by category.

Transparency isn't an option given. I've tried working with transparent png files but they don't adapt well and makes the background a solid color, at least the one I tried.

I tend to build my perception of others through the questions I ask and take part in. It will be the sphere where our interest overlap each other. Over time they will help form a picture/idea about the other. They will help telling me if this is a person I would like to have further conversations with using PM's or IM's. Their profile page will be exactly what it says, a profile. You are right, my groups etc. might tell you something about me, but so will my page design. It won't be by words, but by images, colors, fonts etc.

just sharing my perspectIves, there's no right or wrong in this one. Each to their own, goes for both how we design our profile pages as for how we look at those of others. :-)
      October 20, 2016 2:12 AM MDT