Active Now

Malizz
Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Music » Did you delete Michael Jackson songs from your mp3 collection when he was accused of molesting children?

Did you delete Michael Jackson songs from your mp3 collection when he was accused of molesting children?

Inspired by a question by Rosie G http://www.answermug.com/forums/topic/11987/is-being-able-to-separate-the-art-from-the-artist-an-advantage-o/view/post_id/90257

Molesting children is probably about the worst thing someone can do but I thought about this question from Rosie a few hours ago when I heard a radio station play Man In The Mirror.  This really is a case about separating the art from the artist.  I can't answer my own question because I never had anything from Michael Jackson in my mp3 collection but in this case did you separate the art from the artist and keep your Michael Jackson songs or was being accused of molesting children enough to make you delete them.

Posted - October 16, 2016

Responses

Good answer. I've never eaten at Chick-Fil-A just because there aren't any where I live. I never watched Bill Cosby to begin with just because my TV diet consists mainly of shows like NCIS and stuff like that because I'm pretty geeky when it comes to TV watching. I didn't vote for Bill Clinton because he was before my time. I wasn't old enough to vote until 2011 so 2012 was the first election I voted in. I don't have any Abercrombie and Fitch clothes but I never heard about the fatty thing. I shop at both Walmart and Target but Walmart has more of the stuff I'll buy. I only use the women's room but one time when I was in high school I wasn't paying attention and my mistake didn't dawn on me until I was in the stall and heard guys talking so I texted one of my friends and asked her to pull the fire alarm. OK, that was a huge NO NO but I had a really good friend who did it for me. Thankfully she never got caught and it happened more than seven years ago so we're in the clear now. That wasn't my greatest moment lol. This post was edited by Livvie at October 17, 2016 12:08 AM MDT
      October 16, 2016 8:28 PM MDT

Umm yeah everybody went outside and then a fire truck came but it made me feel really bad because I live in a small town so we have a volunteer fire department so they all had to drop what they were doing and rush to the school but pulling the fire alarm would get you in a ton of trouble if you got caught.
      October 16, 2016 8:54 PM MDT

I couldn't stand him long before that.   Moot
      October 16, 2016 8:17 PM MDT

Best answer so far, lol
      October 16, 2016 8:28 PM MDT

I'm with Sharonna on this one. Your question implies he was on my playlist anyway. He wasn't. I am ornery about these things, though. I stopped listening to Garth Brooks when he hooked up with Trisha. Time heals. I mostly forgive him now. I know he was real heartbroken over losing a teenage me as a fan. I shop at Target, but I nursed there to spite them. The list goes on. If I disagree with the principles of a business/ brand/ franchise, I don't support them. 
      October 17, 2016 12:15 AM MDT

Of course not.  Mature inttelligent adults don't throw someone out with the trash because of an allegation.  More allegations are false than  true. 
      October 17, 2016 12:18 AM MDT

Never had a MP3 list to begin with...
      October 17, 2016 12:29 AM MDT
  • Bez

I didn't have any Michael Jackson songs before then, I never was a fan.
      October 17, 2016 1:27 AM MDT

No. Regardless if he's guilty or not, his musical talent was undeniable.
      October 17, 2016 9:57 PM MDT

I was never a fan of either The Jackson Five or any of them as solo artists (nor for that matter of their Osmond rivals), and I do not regard any of them were as talented and original as the critics all tell me to believe; BUT I would not deleted his music if had collected it, for two reasons.

Firstly, it would be the music that counts, not the man himself. Secondly, he was only accused in rather dubious circumstances of child abuse. As far as I know he was never found guilty of anything.

I did listen to something once on the radio about the other former Jacksons, and it revealed one ended up as a filling-station assistant. If that's true it's very sad, because although I have always disliked their music (even in my 1960s-70s teens) and even if he had chosen to turn his back on show-business and their unfortunate family background, they should all have done well enough from their royalties and performing fees to at least retire in comfort.
      October 19, 2016 10:09 AM MDT

• "No" ... I never was a fan, so didn't have any to delete. 
    I'm good at separating the Art from the Artist.  
    There are very few artist's personal lives that I know anything about.
      October 30, 2016 1:12 PM MDT