Active Now

Element 99
Malizz
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » Can we blame a dysfunctional brain for believing lies and denying truths? Does partisanship always damage mental acuity? Permanently?

Can we blame a dysfunctional brain for believing lies and denying truths? Does partisanship always damage mental acuity? Permanently?

Posted - October 18, 2016

Responses

No. In fact, research by Yale psychologist Dan Kahan suggests partisanship recruits mental acuity in defense of reality denial.

http://www.alternet.org/media/most-depressing-discovery-about-brain-ever
      October 18, 2016 8:35 AM MDT

So smart folks are more likely to defend denial of reality? Tell me it ain't so Joe. This is more than I can bear. It is. Mahalo for your reply OS! :)
      October 18, 2016 10:23 AM MDT

Friend of mine had such a problem accepting the fact that her cat had died that she was experiencing hallucinations occasionally that the cat was making its appearances in her house. She felt that was really her cat coming to visit her.

Exam of servere reality denial; not terribly uncommon.

On the other hand accepting a false reality can make a placebo medication effective

Oops.. was meant to be reply to Old School. This post was edited by Kittigate at October 18, 2016 10:33 AM MDT
      October 18, 2016 10:07 AM MDT

No worries Kg. I enjoyed reading it. Thank you for your reply and Happy Tuesday!  :)
      October 18, 2016 10:26 AM MDT

Hello Rosie:

Our lizard brain isn't dysfunctional..  It could save you from being eaten..  SOME of us, however, have evolved BEYOND our lizard like inclinations, and some of us haven't..

excon
      October 18, 2016 10:19 AM MDT

It is very discomfiting to find out that a lotta folks don't give a rat's a** about reality and are much comfier with the kind of creepy crap someone  like a Trump sells them. I cahn't stend it! :) Woe is me! Woe is us . Thank you for your reply excon! :)
      October 18, 2016 10:25 AM MDT

• Oh you mean like the many Hillary lies? You should see her recent emails. LMAO.
      October 18, 2016 4:23 PM MDT

• One of the skills of intelligence is the ability to fill in missing information.
    When there is no better method available, sometimes guesswork or intuition can supply answers and then testing can find out whether the guess was right or not.
    So imagination can be a tremendous asset in making new discoveries and solving problems.
    It is one of the human brain's most essential functions - not a dysfunction.

But how we use it can be dysfunctional.

It's not the brain which does the denying, but rather it is the person who is misusing the faculty of imagination.

The most common because it helps them avoid facing truths they find too painful to bear.

Many unconsciously "choose" their view of reality to conform with their pre-existing values and beliefs. It fits comfortably their sense of identity.
    Their reasons for their assertions are emotional rather than being based on objective data.

It takes a commitment to seeing reality as it really is
    and being willing to accept and deal appropriately with the facts
    in order to avoid the problems that arise from denial.
      October 19, 2016 5:02 AM MDT

Can one learn/be taught how to do that hartfire or is it something innate and we either have it or we don't? Thank you for your very thoughtful and helpful reply and Happy Election Day Tuesday 2016! :)
      November 8, 2016 4:27 AM MST

• I believe that as long as we're alive and have the will
    we can all learn anything we want.

Try reading "The Brain That Changes Itself," by Norman Doidge MD. It details the latest findings in neurology which prove that the brain is plastic in nature, continually changing its  structure and functioning as a result of what we practise the most. Due to this, victims of brain damage can recover most or all of their functioning given enough time and effort (supported by good diet and physical exercise.)
    The book also shows proof that it is frequently possible to delay or prevent dementia in old age.
      November 8, 2016 12:17 PM MST

Is that so, hartfire? In that case, how come my brain isn't plastic in nature? Nor does it continually change its structure and functioning. Mine is concrete in nature and still continues to function the same as it did 35 years ago (or even longer ago than that). Why do you think that is, hartfire? I personally think it's because people are born fixed and unchangeable, but I would be interested to hear your take on it.
      November 8, 2016 12:30 PM MST

I really don't even know what it means.   Number one is a lot different than number four.  I guess it matters according to the degree of zealotry.  I fail to see how any of this has to do with a dysfunctional mind set.  I could, but it doesn't really wash.

par·ti·san 1
    (pär′tĭ-zən)
    n.
    1. A fervent, sometimes militant supporter or proponent of a party, cause, faction, person, or idea.

2. A member of an organized body of fighters who attack or harass an enemy, especially within occupied territory; a guerrilla.

adj.
    1. Of, relating to, or characteristic of a partisan or partisans.

2. Biased in support of a party, group, or cause: partisan politics.
      November 8, 2016 12:22 PM MST
  • Bez

Is that what causes people to believe lies and deny truths, Rosie? I've often wondered that myself. I know a few people like that myself and they annoy the heck out of me. I have little use for lies and I'd much rather shove the naked, brutal truth in people's faces than tell the tiniest fragment of a lie, yet there are some people who still don't believe the truth no matter how vehemently I hammer it home. Could it be that these people have dysfunctional brains? Your question makes me wonder. Happy Tuesday, Rosie!:)
      November 8, 2016 12:25 PM MST