Active Now

Gino LOLobrigida
ENG / LLVF - formerly of AB
Discussion » Questions » Books and Literature » Why ar wee to admire y prase Chaucer wen hee speld lyk an edyot?

Why ar wee to admire y prase Chaucer wen hee speld lyk an edyot?

Posted - October 18, 2016

Responses

• We all talked like that. Some might say we - and when I say we I mean us English types - still do )
      October 19, 2016 2:18 AM MDT

He was well educated for his time, when most people were barely literate if at all, and he didn't speak like an idiot!!

There were no standard English spellings in his era, and the speaking and prose styles were very different too.
      October 19, 2016 2:37 AM MDT

• I agree with Durdle.
    Just read Chaucer - it's easy to understand in spite of being Medieval English.
    His insights are as true today as they were then and brilliantly expressed.
      October 19, 2016 4:10 AM MDT

• Aye, especially the fart jokes. 
      October 19, 2016 7:55 AM MDT

• Ones we could get away with even on the main board.
    Do you like "The Decameron"?
      October 19, 2016 3:55 PM MDT

• I have Prof. Neville Coghill's translation into modern English verse, and I find it super-brilliant. Immensely enjoyable.
      October 20, 2016 7:14 AM MDT

The Miller's Tale, The Farmer's Tale, no Speller's Tale.
      October 19, 2016 7:59 AM MDT

No Speller's Tale - no, there could not have been, but that's made me wonder what Dr. Samuel Johnson, the writer who published the first standard English dictionary in 1755, thought of Chaucer!

I suspect great respect, but Johnson aimed to establish some order in an otherwise rather chaotic language, when people generally were becoming more literate and the need for written formal documents increased rapidly along with the growth in literature.

In Chaucer's time few people could read, the English vocabulary was far smaller anyway, most formal Church and legal documents were in Latin, and so rough-and-ready, vaguely-phonetic, perhaps dialectical spellings were acceptable. 

October 20, 2016 3:09 AM MDT

• "For ther is so gret diversite
    In Englissh and in writyng of oure tonge
    So pray I God that non myswrite the
    Ne the mysmetre for defaute of tongue:
    And red wherso thow be, or elles songe,
    That thow be understonde, God I biseche"
      October 20, 2016 3:49 AM MDT