Active Now

Shuhak
Danilo_G
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Animals (Pets/ Domesticated) » Isn't it animal cruelty to separate puppy dogs from their mothers to sell them? Shouldn't puppies be allowed to bond with their mothers?

Isn't it animal cruelty to separate puppy dogs from their mothers to sell them? Shouldn't puppies be allowed to bond with their mothers?

Posted - October 19, 2016

Responses

• Bez

I think you have a valid point there, flipper.
      October 19, 2016 6:55 PM MDT

Thanks.
      October 19, 2016 6:56 PM MDT

You're welcome, flipper. :)
      October 19, 2016 7:37 PM MDT

Definitely.  Puppies taken too soon from their mothers tremble.  I think they say six weeks is soon enough to prevent that.  I say that just because they are not visibly shaking, they are still traumatized.  I don't know what the time frame should be but an expert in this field should revisit the subject. Good question.
      October 19, 2016 7:30 PM MDT

No, it's not animal abuse, although it may seem like that.  What I don’t agree with is when puppies are removed sooner than they should be.  I was just at Target a few days ago and there was a young gal that was carrying a very tiny Chihuahua.  Since animals are a magnet for me, I immediately went over to pet it.  When I mentioned the pup looked very young, she said he was only a month old.  I would be highly suspicious of someone, especially a breeder, who was willing to remove a pup from its mother at that young of an age.  The Humane Society recommends removing them from their mother at 8-10 weeks of age.  Weaning should be gradual, starting at between 3-4 weeks of age and ending at between 7 and 8 weeks. If puppies remain with their mother and litter mates longer than 3 months, they may not develop the desire for a relationship with humans and we all know how important it is to have a strong relationship and to bond with a new puppy.   Removing a pup too soon is detrimental as well because they don’t learn the skills necessary to interact with other dogs.   

October 21, 2016 12:33 AM MDT

ive wondered about that myself
      October 23, 2016 8:50 PM MDT

Yes, they need to be with the mother for a certain amount of months at least two.   I think it is 6 to 8 weeks at least. This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at October 24, 2016 4:08 PM MDT
      October 24, 2016 4:07 PM MDT