Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Education » What is the role of a teacher?

What is the role of a teacher?

Schools are considered dumping grounds for whatever ails society, thinking they should take care of all social problems. So what is the role of a teacher? 

Posted - October 20, 2016

Responses

If you cannot do both of these you are not very good and probably hate the job.

1.  To instruct
    2.  To inspire
      October 20, 2016 3:52 PM MDT

• Torture students and take off in the summer.
      October 20, 2016 5:33 PM MDT

I think it is vice-versa.   The students are the torturers.  Teachers never get much time off.  This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at October 20, 2016 6:49 PM MDT
      October 20, 2016 6:48 PM MDT

I once taught Automotive Technology to several classes of high school students who were actively hostile to me.

It was the most stressful job I ever did, catalyzed my fall into debilitating depression, and probably was instrumental in accelerating my divorce from my ex-wife.
      October 20, 2016 7:06 PM MDT

Gee. Thank you for finally talking to me. 

October 20, 2016 7:14 PM MDT

OMG How did YOU find this.

I thought about what you'd think if you read this and then I thought "nah, what are the chances?"

curses!
      January 23, 2017 11:39 PM MST

You expect me to remember exactly how I stumbled across this post 3 months ago (when I was deep in caregiving for my mom and brother)?

You badly overestimate my episodic memory capability....;-D....
      January 24, 2017 1:07 AM MST

Well my Daughter in law is a Middle school teacher and she can't walk threw town without one of her students stopping her to say hello and sometimes some of them ask her how they did on the test on Friday, I figure thats the role of a teacher to get a teen to wonder/worry if they did well on a test even though it's the weekend. Cheers!
      October 20, 2016 7:24 PM MDT

To teach students to use their own minds and to be able to think critically. To actually teach and not indoctrinate. Liberal indoctrination is one of the greatest forms of child abuse in America today, Common Core is a rather despicable form of abuse. Funny how liberals trumpet inclusion but turn a blind eye to the overwhelming left-wing political persuasion and the leftist bias regarding the vast majority of faculty on college campuses. But then again, how does liberalism ever have a chance, only through a rigged system. The saving grace is the real world, once students begin the real experience of earning their own paycheck and paying their own bills, the leftist fairytales and brainwashing they encountered within their college lives usually wears off. But then some get hooked on government entitlements and they have a relapse. This post was edited by peaceofmind50 at October 21, 2016 2:51 PM MDT
      October 20, 2016 8:23 PM MDT

RWAM talking points are right wing and moonbatty.
      January 24, 2017 1:08 AM MST

Who considers schools "dumping grounds for whatever ails society" and thinks schools "should take care of all social problems"?  Would that be society that thinks that?  That would mean that society itself is what "ails" society.  
      October 20, 2016 8:33 PM MDT

• Not reading the reports and records, find out what level the student is at, and his or her best ways of learning.
    Tailor the syllabus to the student's needs.
    Organise extra help if necessary.
    Draw out and develop the student's best potential as a human being.
    Knowledge cannot be spoon fed - that method never works.
    The desire to learn is innate in every young child.
    If the system has crushed it, the teacher's role is to help that natural impulse to return and nurture it to become strong and resilient.
    Show the means and offer the opportunities
    to practise the skills of observing, researching, evaluating, selecting criteria, thinking and creating in different fields,
    and develop the necessary skills for surviving and thriving in life and in relationships.
      October 20, 2016 9:19 PM MDT

To teach, educate, and be a role model.
      October 20, 2016 11:13 PM MDT

• The first and foremost role of a teacher is to build character. And they can only do it by their own conduct.
    Children are much more perceptive than we give them credit for, and good teachers will always be remembered not for the way they explained Shakespeare, or quadratic equations, but the by the values their students subconsciously imbibed from them.
      October 21, 2016 11:07 AM MDT

When I went to school they were teachers who taught a subject, today they do what they are suppose to learn at home but the parents aren't around to or are too ignorant to teach them even basics.
      October 21, 2016 1:41 PM MDT

Ah, today's teachers. Presenting "materials" these days that my generation would never have dreamed of . . .

http://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/notorious-teacher-sex-scandals/

In the meantime today's union lifers, I mean teachers, don't seem to have a clue as to the "Three "R's" . . .
      October 21, 2016 3:06 PM MDT

to teach the kids
      October 22, 2016 8:22 PM MDT

be patient
      January 23, 2017 5:43 PM MST

To value your position and love what you do.  You inspire, you love each student and are grateful for everyone of them because they are YOUR teachers.

Never forget that.

You act that way?  Your students will love, respect you and teaching becomes easier.
      January 23, 2017 5:45 PM MST