Discussion » Questions » Jobs » How do I make this job work?

How do I make this job work?

I got offered this job in a calling center. the problem is i gotta be there at 6am and buses dont run that early. I dont live within walking distance. thinking of either staying near there during the wk or paying someone for rides, even a cab if necessary. Ive been fed up with being out of work so I thought id take the job anyways and work out the other details, so whats the best way to do it, if i get rides i would need someone reliable, any suggestions?

Posted - October 21, 2016

Responses

• How far is it? ... How much do you earn compared to the costs involved in earning it? ... His much is a cab? Uber? ... Get a bike? ... Once yummy start see if anyone there lives nearby?
      October 22, 2016 2:21 AM MDT

its the same city but not walking distance, i think its like $10 hr , not sure how much it is to cab it, i think it might be $15 but i can take the bus home, i tried uber but i dont understand the part about the apps and i dont have a smartphone, i suppose i could get there, bike is out, i cant keep my balance on it, id break my neck, i have a scooter but it would get ruined cause of snow, and get stuck in it, i thought of that too to see if my coworkers live nearby
      October 22, 2016 9:23 AM MDT

Pearl, I just read what Spunky said.  I agree. That is a good idea.  Look it up on the net why don't you and see if there are some government or public access transportation that is not the city bus.    I had to go through what you are going through now, because my idiot boyfriend back then wanted to move to an area where I could not navigate since I had no car.   There was a Dial-a-ride situation in that city.  Hope you can find something like that.  It is not expensive either.   Good luck. You are a trouper. 
      October 29, 2016 10:21 PM MDT

Why don't you see if there's some governmental program that would provide transportation for you.  I don't know where you live, but here in NYC, there's a program called Access-A-Ride.  They provide very low-cost transportation for those who are disabled. 
      October 22, 2016 9:27 AM MDT

never heard of it, maybe i should check it out
      October 22, 2016 6:46 PM MDT

If you aren't in NYC, that will probably not be the name of the service where you are.  Start by calling some social services numbers in your area to see what's available.
      October 22, 2016 9:29 PM MDT

Sounds like you may have to start out using a cab/uber etc.  Do check and see if there is a gov program that maybe helps with transportation.
      October 22, 2016 10:15 AM MDT

What about a bicycle?  
      October 22, 2016 1:16 PM MDT

cant keep my balance on them, id break my neck
      October 22, 2016 6:54 PM MDT

• How about arranging your transportation with a co-worker?
    Have you begun your new job? How have you managed to reach so far? 
      October 29, 2016 7:51 PM MDT

i havent started yet, i start on the 7th so i dont even know who my coworkers are so i cant even talk to them yet, i think im going to start off taking this new cab company that just started where i live, i dont want to ask people i know, im afraid they wont be reliable This post was edited by Pearl at October 29, 2016 10:02 PM MDT
      October 29, 2016 9:41 PM MDT

• In India, where I live, call centres often arrange for late-night/early morning transportation, especially for female workers. Might be a good idea for you to find out if your employer provides such a facility. 
      October 29, 2016 10:04 PM MDT

Back in the 1960s I was a billing/claims clerk for a trucking company........they moved to another location; there was a bus I could take, but since I got off work at 3 - 4 AM, no buses, obviously.

Soooo I called the cab company and explained my situation & they gave me a nice discount on cabfare as they knew I'd be using it every morning.

You really should look into this!!!  worth a shot!!!

good luck!!!
      November 22, 2016 8:45 AM MST