Active Now

Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Politics » National Guard told they must repay their enlistment bonus. Should Obama forgive the debts?

National Guard told they must repay their enlistment bonus. Should Obama forgive the debts?

It was through no fault of their own. CA caught in fraud and shouldn't have offered the bonuses.

Posted - October 25, 2016

Responses

Sounds like a plan.

According to a CNN story on the issue, individual service personnel affected can petition to have their debts forgiven. I hope the Department of Defense adopts a policy of allowing those petitions unless there is good reason not to.
      October 25, 2016 8:28 AM MDT

Definitely
      October 25, 2016 8:55 AM MDT

Yes he should!
      October 25, 2016 9:34 AM MDT

What debt?

If the re-enlisting members of the Guard did nothing wrong, if it was all on the government to begin with, then they should have no culpability, no "debt". It's much the same as an employer withholding taxes from his or her employees but not sending the money to the IRS. The employee is not at fault.
      October 25, 2016 9:41 AM MDT

I agree....they were given an enlistment bonus but for some reason they were not eligible for the bonus. It sounds like it was the states fault. Should be either forgiven for the state should pay it.
      October 25, 2016 10:26 AM MDT

Hello my:

Well, I don't think so, because they're soldiers..  But, I also don't think Wells Fargo customers should have to pay the balances on their credit cards, because through no fault of their own, they were given credit cards.

It IS the same thing, isn't it?

excon
      October 25, 2016 9:48 AM MDT

@excon -- I don't think your analogy holds.

I think a more accurate analogy would be if Wells Fargo gave out credit cards which it told customers were interest-only for 5 years and then they had 5 years after that to pay down the balance. Then, 3 years in, those customers are told they were not elegible for the 5/5 cards and, instead, must pay off their balances (with interest) within one year.

I would not hold those customers liable for believing the bank was being forthright in giving them 5/5 cards.
      October 25, 2016 10:33 AM MDT

• Is this not covered by any sort of contract law?
      October 25, 2016 12:02 PM MDT

If there is no fine print stating otherwise, Wells Fargo cannot re-nig on this offer.  It's illegal.  I'm sure they know that and there is more to this story. 

I don't like that bank, I have banked there and they have more paperwork than you can shake a stick at, as well as giving their customers a lot of mailings that have zero to do with their account, always advertising.  So, I am really not believing they did not have some kind of protection (for Wells Fargo that is,  not the consumer) should something like this occur. 

They are all about protecting themselves.   Perhaps the bankers (as in customers) from the National Guard  in question did not read all the fine print.   There is fine print aplenty if you are a Wells Fargo customer.. This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at October 25, 2016 12:16 PM MDT
      October 25, 2016 12:12 PM MDT