Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Legal » How many of you have a REAL ID CARD? California has until 10/1/2010 to comply. Some states have waivers. D'ya like it uh huh uh huh? WHY?

How many of you have a REAL ID CARD? California has until 10/1/2010 to comply. Some states have waivers. D'ya like it uh huh uh huh? WHY?

Posted - October 26, 2016

Responses

• How can anyone not have ID? You have to have ID to even get a pack of cigarettes or alcohol or even to have a job. I don't get how people get by without having an ID they cost like 10 dollars.
      October 26, 2016 11:36 AM MDT

Exactly.   I don't know where she gets some of this stuff.
      October 26, 2016 11:39 AM MDT

I thought every state has ID cards if you don't drive, how else would you show who you actually are?  Do you mean VOTER ID?   I guess you could mean that since you can show your Driver's License or STATE ID.  Every state has ID.

I don't know what ID you are talking about, but I am sure every state has them.  What if you don't drive?  You need something to prove your existence. This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at October 26, 2016 11:42 AM MDT
      October 26, 2016 11:38 AM MDT

I had to look it up because I haven't paid attention to it.  My driver's license is one which means it meets UN standards for ID cards.  I think there's something about needing one to board planes starting sometime in the future otherwise you'll need a passport but that's not a big deal to me because I have a passport anyway and I don't fly on planes a whole lot.

It kind of looks like countries that pay attention to Real ID are in the minority:

October 26, 2016 11:50 AM MDT

Hi Liv. I didn't know anything about it until I got an email from my sister who lives with her husband in Nevada. She just renewed her driver's license but told me that sometime before the next renewal she and her hubby will have to get REAL ID CARDS which involves providing a lot of information like  birth certificate, etcetera to the DMV I guess. It seems a law was passed a few years ago that requires all states to do that. So I looked it up and sure enough there is such a law. We don't fly any more so we will never need a REAL ID CARD to board any plane. But  it also says you may be required to showIDt if you enter a federal building. Some states are already in complete compliance with the law. You can see a list of  states and what their status is with regard to it. It amazed me! Thank you for your reply and Happy Thursday! :)
      October 27, 2016 3:00 AM MDT