Active Now

Danilo_G
CosmicWunderkind
Element 99
Malizz
Randy D
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » answerMug Members » Marg and I want more room in the question box here and I want a way to edit the question box. I can only edit the box below. What is up wi

Marg and I want more room in the question box here and I want a way to edit the question box. I can only edit the box below. What is up wi

Posted - October 26, 2016

Responses

You have more than 140 characters. If you need more than that, there's the description box.  You edit your question by clicking "Rename." If you need to edit the description, you click "Edit Description." 
      October 26, 2016 9:37 PM MDT

One hundred forty characters in the primary field simply are not enough.  Having to go to the secondary doesn't cut it. 
    _
      October 26, 2016 10:47 PM MDT

Etiquette requires I thank you for stating the obvious.   I KNOW.  I want more space for the questions.  It is my personal desire and that of Marguerite.    I'm not saying I will get this, I am putting it out there.  It is VERY annoying to only have that much room for a question.  I know you can add more down below but it screws with the flow.

And most people cannot even edit the question at all once it is posted.  You can edit the rest of the question but not the question itself.  It won't let you.  This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at October 27, 2016 8:33 AM MDT
      October 27, 2016 12:21 AM MDT

S, you are absolutely right. You can't edit the question once it's posted. Thank you for your input on this. 
      October 27, 2016 8:36 AM MDT

The "rename" button does not work for you? Can you give me a description of what happens when you use it? 

As far as length goes, I probably will not change it. It messes with the flow of the site and how content appears elsewhere. I'd have to reprogram feeds and stuff to only show a certain number of characters and it would be an extensive process. And, not that this matters to anyone by me, but Google will only look at the first 150-160 characters. After that, anything you add won't appear in search engines. For the sake of having us appear in search engines nicely and to ensure that your discussion appears when someone searches for a phrase in it, we have to keep it shorter. If, for example, you posted a question about what to feed a parakeet, but you put 200 characters before you talked about parakeets or food, people probably wouldn't find your discussion in Google. Again, that may not matter to you in your normal use of the site, but it does matter in regard to bringing in new members. If people can't find or read our discussions, they won't come. 
      October 27, 2016 10:22 AM MDT

Haha. You'd be surprised what people search for. For the longest time, the question that brought in the most people from Google was "Are barefoot running shoes just hype?" It was a random question I asked and it brought in hundreds of people. I actually felt bad because the question never really got a definitive answer, so I revived it a few times so people searching would get real responses. lol I'm sure people come in for yours as well.
      October 27, 2016 11:34 AM MDT

Thanks, JA, editing the question doesn't work after it's posted, like the description. I've tried it many times and different ways. Thought I'd let you know. I usually write short sentences, but it would be nice if we had the option to write a few longer ones. 
      October 27, 2016 8:40 AM MDT

But what happens when you use the "rename" button? Are you guys getting errors? What happens?
      October 27, 2016 11:30 AM MDT

Ah... Ok. Thank you. 
      October 27, 2016 1:01 PM MDT

I kinda feel you on this one Sharonna.  It's actually a challenge to get people pulled in when you are limited.  Yes, there is a place to explain more, but that isn't seen until you click on the question.  Some questions do need a few more characters than what is allowed.  
      October 26, 2016 9:42 PM MDT

It is not a huge problem.  It is just something people would like changed.   I am not complaining I am merely pointing it out.   I can live with it but if it can be adjusted that would be very very nice. 
      October 27, 2016 12:25 AM MDT

Same here!  These are the little things in life.
      October 27, 2016 2:03 PM MDT

Hear, hear!  Add me to the petition!
    ~
      October 26, 2016 10:49 PM MDT

THANK YOU
      October 27, 2016 12:26 AM MDT

lol I make errors just to mess with him. :p

I asked the ladies earlier, but what happens when you click the "rename" button? Are you guys getting error messages or something?
      October 27, 2016 10:25 AM MDT

Short titles can be renamed, no problem.  Ones over 64 characters in length can not.  Wasn't that the original title length allowed, before you extended it to 140?  It just says that the title is more than 64 characters and does not allow you to save your changes. This post was edited by Bozette at October 27, 2016 2:17 PM MDT
      October 27, 2016 12:00 PM MDT

Good to know.
      October 27, 2016 2:06 PM MDT

I believe now that WW and I have explained what happens to JA, she will be able to correct the glitch.
      October 27, 2016 2:11 PM MDT

(Dude, you know you like it when men make you work harder . . . )

~ This post was edited by Randy D at October 27, 2016 9:17 PM MDT
      October 27, 2016 8:14 PM MDT

• Most people aren't  interested in reading much more than 140 characters IMO.  Concise and to the point will get you more interest and responses normally.
      October 27, 2016 11:52 AM MDT

Obviously you don't know. This is merely your guess.   Don't you think it would have been nice if I were allowed to complete the above question?

I write a lot of questions and get frustratred when it just halts in the middle of a sentence.  The question should be allowed to at least continue until a few sentences are finished.  And I am not the only one who feels this way.     There was more room before.  I am not wanting to write a long dissertation.  I am looking to finish a complete thought. This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at October 27, 2016 8:15 PM MDT
      October 27, 2016 11:59 AM MDT

Sharona, please be fair. Even though you and I see this issue one way, others are entitled to having different opinions. 

~
      October 27, 2016 8:17 PM MDT

• Try asking JA directly. There is probably a reason for the format - perhaps connected with saving space or not clogging the data flow - I'm not technical enough to understand it.

In the meantime, try writing the questions offline in your laptop, tailoring them to fit the windows.

You know how verbose I am. But when necessity pushes me, I can sum it up in telegraphic brevity.
    It actually makes for an interesting exercise.
      October 29, 2016 4:40 AM MDT