Active Now

Malizz
Randy D
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » The ability to think critically and independently used to be celebrated. No longer. Now you follow the leader unquestioningly OR ELSE! Why?

The ability to think critically and independently used to be celebrated. No longer. Now you follow the leader unquestioningly OR ELSE! Why?

Posted - October 29, 2016

Responses

It might have something to do with a lack of confidence  years ago we did a lot of things that built our confidence while playing sports at the park, building forts in the woods, fishing, all kinds of outdoor activities and didn't worry about scraping our knees .
      Today the young are treated like babies and wimps so they grow up with no leader ship skills and just follow the others and play with the P.C, and text others all day.  Eliminating the Draft also contributed to the wimpiness we have today it helped a lot of people including me.
      October 29, 2016 2:36 PM MDT

You know Tom you are absolutely right. I remember back to my childhood and we kids did things all the time that I'm sure kids today have never done . Also I remember very clearly when my brain first opened up to its possibilities. It's funny.  I was in a Philosophy class in Junior College and my professor's name Mr. Hallman. He did not have a doctorate. As usual it was a very interactive class which is why I loved it. He didn't just stand there and talk/lecture. He threw ideas out at us from time and let us talk to one another. I don't remember the subject but I do remember a light turning on. You know in cartoons when the light bulb over the character's head turns on? I felt my light bulb turn on and I GOT IT! I knew exactly what he was talking about and from then on that class was by far my favorite and to this day still is. He pushed the limits of our minds. He NEVER gave us an answer. He said there are many "right" answers. You have to figure out which among them is right for you. The other person in my life who stretched my brain and forced me to achieve more than I ever thought I could was the smartest boss I ever had. Sorry for the lengthy answer but all these memories poured out. I wonder if people today can ever understand how exciting it can be to think!  Figure it out! See what makes the most sense to you without relying on other people to do your thinking for you! Thank you for your reply! :)

October 30, 2016 3:35 AM MDT

not sure why
      October 29, 2016 6:43 PM MDT

Thank you for your reply pearl and Happy Sunday! :)
      October 30, 2016 3:36 AM MDT

Some still do celebrate it. No one should follow anyone without thinking/ asking questions.
      October 31, 2016 3:55 PM MDT