Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Randy D
Discussion » Questions » Legal » When you get blamed for something you didn't do, how do you prove that you didn't do it?

When you get blamed for something you didn't do, how do you prove that you didn't do it?

Posted - November 5, 2016

Responses

Burden of proof lies with the accuser in court of law. It should be applied universally. This post was edited by O-uknow at November 5, 2016 5:40 PM MDT
      November 5, 2016 4:11 PM MDT

I agree.
      November 5, 2016 5:15 PM MDT

• It depends on what importance I and others place on what it was I didn't do whether I even bother ... You can waste too much time trying to convince those whose opinions don't really matter
      November 5, 2016 4:20 PM MDT

I don't waste my time on stuff that has no bearing on my life.
    Some people will never change their minds no matter how much proof you give them.
      November 5, 2016 5:17 PM MDT

• Agreed ... Something about casting your pearls before swine ... Time is the greatest of pearls
      November 5, 2016 5:19 PM MDT

That is one of my favorite sayings.
      November 5, 2016 5:24 PM MDT

• I provide the evidence.
      November 5, 2016 4:35 PM MDT

Depends on who is doing the accusing and what the accusation is, but in general, I will expect proof!
      November 5, 2016 4:53 PM MDT

It does suck though when there is no way to defend ourselves or make the other party  prove what they say.
      November 5, 2016 5:21 PM MDT

I think that usually, in time, the truth comes to light. Seems that usually people who put a lot of effort into proving themselves innocent are at least a bit guilty. If your conscience is clear, no need to get too worked up about it.
      November 5, 2016 5:38 PM MDT

That's true
      November 5, 2016 6:38 PM MDT

If she says I'm the one, then she's lying. I had a vasectomy performed on me over two decades ago, I've been shooting blanks ever since. (And no, the vasectomy has not been reversed nor has it reversed itself.)

~
      November 5, 2016 5:39 PM MDT

just tell them to stop bothering you if they dont have proof
      November 5, 2016 5:49 PM MDT

I was slightly hard of hearing but my aunt who was a brilliant musician thought I was lying when I said I didn't know what she said. Unfortunately I couldn't do the opposite to prove it because I didn't know what that was either.

Then she had a son born stone deaf.
      November 5, 2016 6:10 PM MDT

As PeaPod said, it depends on just what the accusation is, and WHO is saying it.  Sometimes, there just isn't any way of "proving" the falsity of  an accusation.  One can only hope, that those who hear or read them, know you well enough to realize when an accusation doesn't ring true.   This post was edited by Piper at November 5, 2016 9:13 PM MDT
      November 5, 2016 6:12 PM MDT

Hi Piper! I have seen you and several of my friends accused of things I know you didn't do.
    They don't care if it's true or not. They just want to be nasty.
      November 5, 2016 6:37 PM MDT

Thankfully LM, the internet bullshitters show their hand and their lies do catch up to them.  It used to really upset me to read some of that stuff that was said about us, but as predicted, they moved on to others to sling it at.  

This post was edited by PeaPod is just popping by at November 5, 2016 7:23 PM MDT
      November 5, 2016 7:13 PM MDT

Yeah....no doubt.  :)   I was thinking more of some things I've been blamed for or accused of in real life, as opposed to some online kooky people. 
      November 5, 2016 7:16 PM MDT

I was once accused of taking someone's cat, and when I proved that I didn't, they seemed to be more upset about that then if I did take it.
      November 5, 2016 7:20 PM MDT

I once was accused of stealing $30 from a cash register when I worked in fast foods.  It happened Black Friday, a day a manager put us all on doubles to one register.  I got accused because that was the exact amount that got taken from my purse a week prior and I had reported the theft.  After a bunch of tears from me, the girl that worked with me fessed up.  It turned out she had a drug problem and she was likely the one that had also taken money from my purse the prior week.  She was promptly fired, but I was very lucky to have had that vindication.  I would have been devastated if that accusation stuck since I would never take anything that wasn't mine.  
      November 5, 2016 7:31 PM MDT

You may be able to prove you were somewhere else when 'it' happened.
      November 5, 2016 7:22 PM MDT

• When I was in second grade the new "cool hip" librarian said I didn't return a book. I was terrified and didn't know what to do since I knew I had returned it. I'm not sure if he said I would have to pay for it, but I had that in my head. Of course it seemed like that would be a huge sum of money to me. I was worried for days. Then I had the idea to see if it was on the shelf. The book was on the shelf and I showed the librarian. I think that's the first time I really started to distrust authority and people.
      November 5, 2016 7:48 PM MDT

• With violence and brutality.
      November 5, 2016 8:05 PM MDT

It all depends on who is doing the blaming, what the blame is and if it's important enough to me to go to the effort of providing proof. 
      November 5, 2016 8:57 PM MDT