Active Now

Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Politics » Is the UK becoming "Americanized" and less European?

Is the UK becoming "Americanized" and less European?

Posted - July 3, 2016

Responses

Oh, I certainly hope not.

July 3, 2016 12:14 PM MDT

What? I think they feel that they can function independently of Europe. 

July 3, 2016 12:24 PM MDT

• I wonder. Why did they join the EU to begin with?

July 3, 2016 12:28 PM MDT

•   July 3, 2016 12:44 PM MDT

• That depends on what cultural influences people are exposed to.  The UK population is exposed to far more US media than any other except it's own, so it would be strange if there wasn't significant influence.  That goes the other way too, at least to an extent.

The UK is very much a monolingual culture.  As a result of the basic popularity of the English language abroad the amount of influence the UK has on other European states usually exceeds influence they may have on us and this is not confined to Europe.  Naturally, the US has influence abroad for similar reasons.

As for the 51st state thing, that's a nice daydream for Amerophiles here and little more.  :)

July 3, 2016 12:48 PM MDT

Yup , and it's not just a recent thing. It's been going on for as long as I can remember.

July 3, 2016 1:46 PM MDT

• Highly doubtful.

July 3, 2016 1:52 PM MDT
  • Bez

It has been influenced by American culture for decades. For example, the usage of numbered avenues such as 5th Avenue in Hull (those were built around 1930) came directly from New York, didn't it? And of course, the entertainment world should not be overlooked. American movies have always been popular and successful in the UK, and likewise with American music. The first six number one hits on the UK charts were all by American singers. This American influence on popular culture in the UK has been around a lot longer than the European influence.

July 3, 2016 1:55 PM MDT
  • Bez

I've been wondering that myself for about 40 years now.

July 3, 2016 1:56 PM MDT
  • Bez

Exactly! :)

July 3, 2016 1:56 PM MDT

I think we're more of a global community, now more than ever. I think every country is drawing from, and becoming inspired by, all the things happening around the world. I don't think the UK is becoming more "American," but rather, we're all becoming a global melting pot.

July 3, 2016 3:15 PM MDT

I don't know.  What kind of electrical outlets are they using these days?   How about bidets?  Still have those?

July 3, 2016 3:22 PM MDT

It's getting there, JA, slowly but surely, if we don't blast each other to oblivion first.

July 3, 2016 3:35 PM MDT