Active Now

ENG / LLVF - formerly of AB
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Television and Movies » Honestly, can you remind me what I pay you people for? Throw me a bone here!

Honestly, can you remind me what I pay you people for? Throw me a bone here!

Posted - November 6, 2016

Responses

• NO!  They're my bones bone
      November 6, 2016 5:08 PM MST

Good doggie! Stay!
      November 6, 2016 5:15 PM MST

• My experience is that I get back (well... usually) as much energy as I put in.
    I "pay" by tagging on the ads - the selection is hopeless no matter how much I try to influence it, but at least JA gets the benefits.

I watch for your posts. I find some funny, some deeply thoughtful and some informative and interesting.
    I would happily engage in conversation with you any day, and yet I have not found the key that sparks your mind.

If you were to post a reply here,
    sharing what it is you most hope to find or explore here on aM,
    what you find interesting and enjoyable,
    I'll do my best to try and throw you a daily bone. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at November 6, 2016 5:16 PM MST
      November 6, 2016 5:14 PM MST

Nowadays, I mostly throw random thoughts up here and see what people respond to (it's proven to be VERY unpredictable).

Similarly, I tend to post answers when I think I have a positive contribution that someone (not necessarily the person to whom I'm responding) could use to think in greater depth about a subject.

Or I post cat pictures/videos...;-D...
      November 6, 2016 5:18 PM MST

• I enjoy almost all of your responses.
    Will post my own so you know I've seen them.
      November 6, 2016 5:26 PM MST

• I have many skills that are in demand and can't be outsourced.
      November 6, 2016 5:21 PM MST

• You must flip burgers then.  No offense, but that's the only thing they haven't been able to outsource yet.
      November 6, 2016 5:30 PM MST

• Also, barf and urine cleanup at the nursing home, but that will soon be taken over by robots.
      November 6, 2016 5:46 PM MST

As someone who recently had to do some caregiving for family members, I think the unpleasant jobs you describe above are undervalued, and some of the people who do them are incredible.
      November 6, 2016 5:51 PM MST

• I totally agree 100%. But since they're viewed as a combination of "anyone can do" jobs and "punishment for not working hard" jobs, they're not paid anything.
      November 6, 2016 5:57 PM MST

@Mr. B -- Of course. We are paid what the labor market will bear. It has almost NOTHING to do with hard work, education, or moral virtue. But we like to keep telling ourself it does because accepting we all live in essentially a lottery system where the losers would be Soylent Green without wealth transfers is too upsetting of the existing social order.
      November 6, 2016 6:00 PM MST

• Having been a part-time teacher, paid a third of the hourly rate of a plumber, I had cause to ponder the discrepancy.
    It would have been nice to value myself for the seven years of university training, someone half-way equivalent in education to a medical doctor or a lawyer, as opposed to the plumbers' four years apprenticeship and technical college. Alas, life doesn't work like that.

There are around 290,854 teachers to 3,750,973 students in Australia.
    The average full-time teacher gets AU$32 an hour or AU$64,542 per year.
    The full-time wage of an average Australian is AU$74,724 before tax.
    In 2015 the Australian tax revenue was, according to govt budget report, $445,965,000,000 but the military expenditure alone was $58B!
    Something is not right with the figures.
    Since working citizens' taxes have to pay
    290,854 salaries, the national bill is AU$18,772,298,868, a bit under a quarter of the total national tax revenue.
    Given all the other essential services (such as the free Medicare, social services, roads & transport infrastructure, defense etc) the government must also pay for, it does seem clear that no one can afford to pay teachers more than they are already paid.
    The price we pay for hunting down and extinguishing ISIS is, in my view necessary, not just for protecting ourselves and our allies against terrorism, but also to rescue the rights and freedom of faith of moderate Muslims in the Middle East. But I sure as hell don't like the possibility that the reason we are increasing our national debt and are unable to pay decent wages to teachers, social workers, carers, and nurses is due to fighting a war.

November 6, 2016 7:49 PM MST

• Nope.  We are going to start outsourcing our elderly and mentally incompetent to Vietnam.  We will ship them there on old cruise ships that have had too many tuberculosis and legionella outbreaks for consumers trust.
      November 6, 2016 6:22 PM MST

At last...a way for us oldsters to vaca at the beach!!!!

November 6, 2016 6:34 PM MST

• Ha!

( hey there Sugar long time no see)
      November 6, 2016 6:41 PM MST

Hey, I resemble...er, resent...yeah, resent that photo...;-D...
      November 6, 2016 7:08 PM MST

Close enough to be...sisters....eh?
      November 10, 2016 8:50 AM MST

All of the heads look like the same person.............just sayin'
      November 6, 2016 10:03 PM MST

Of course.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
      November 6, 2016 5:35 PM MST

November 6, 2016 7:12 PM MST

Well, you did ask, didn't cha?

November 6, 2016 7:16 PM MST

At my age, such things can only get me into trouble...;-D...
      November 6, 2016 7:23 PM MST

At your WHAT?   Oh man.  Not that again.  I am devoting my life to reversing that attitude and look at you.   You are half my age, you should be ashamed, you should. 

November 6, 2016 9:07 PM MST

We are here for you to use in your quest to keep your stress level down, thus, improving your BP.  How are we doing?
      November 6, 2016 10:04 PM MST