Active Now

ENG / LLVF - formerly of AB
Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Music » How can people live without going to listen to a philharmonic symphony orchestra? (Live performance)

How can people live without going to listen to a philharmonic symphony orchestra? (Live performance)

I miss going to the theater to watch and listen to the symphony more often. I used to go to every concert, at least once a month. It is difficult not getting to go more often. There is nothing like listening to all those wonderful instruments. 

Posted - November 6, 2016

Responses

Well...here in Australia...music is expensive.
    But l got to see the Vienna Philharmonic twice...in 2006 and 2010.
    Had to travel 900 kms one way...by car.
    The first time...conducted by Gergiev...then Eisenbach.
    What else?
    Oh yeah.
    Berlin Philharmonic in Berlin...2009.
    London Philharmonic.
    In Europe....there is music in every church...for peanuts.
    The Vuenna Philharmonic cost $399!

November 6, 2016 7:49 PM MST

@Vetros, oh my! That is expensive. The Houston Symphony gives a few free concerts every year. I live out in the suburbs, and it is quite far to go to concerts during the week at night. The last concert I went to was amazing. I loved it. Besides the classical music, they played James Bond movie themes. That was cool! I've only seen those symphonies you mentioned on TV or on videos. They are some of the best in the world. Thanks! 
      November 6, 2016 7:57 PM MST

• Fellow Aussie here agreeing.
    Ari and I do listen to live music as often as possible -- usually a chamber orchestra or a world-fusion group in a local hall with good acoustics.
    We've listened to the Sydney, Berlin, Cleveland and New York Philharmonics playing at the Opera House in Sydney - long time ago now.
    Not something we could afford these days.
      November 6, 2016 8:01 PM MST

Nothing like Sydney
      November 6, 2016 8:05 PM MST

Buy a Tivoli Audio radio and listen to NPR.  I listen everyday to classical music.  Back home I went to Symphony orchestral concerts, bought season tickets.  I raised my girls going to symphony concerts, ballet, and opera.  I love all of it and it washed onto them too.  This granddaughter of mine has taken a liking to ballroom dance though.  She's being a rebel.  
      November 6, 2016 7:54 PM MST

@Thriftymaid, I am listening to NPR right now. The Houston Symphony is playing right now. Beautiful music! I was listening to Mahler's 1st symphony. Now the next one? I don't know what it is. It sounds Russian---lots of folk music influence. Maybe they will announce it soon. It could be Norwegian---Grieg maybe. I'm going to wait until it's over so I can tell you what it is. 

Ballroom dancing with Strauss waltzes would be great! 

It is Grieg. They haven't said, but I recognize the melody "Are You Sleeping, Brother John". This post was edited by Marguerite, the Beloved at November 6, 2016 8:51 PM MST
      November 6, 2016 8:06 PM MST

• Very happily.
      November 6, 2016 8:17 PM MST

For many people, the cost is too high.  Here in NYC, we have Lincoln Center.  I have no idea what the cost is to see one performance or an opera, but I'm sure it isn't cheap. This post was edited by SpunkySenior at November 6, 2016 8:49 PM MST
      November 6, 2016 8:49 PM MST

• Don't ask me. I've been going to the San Francisco Symphony regularly since I was a kid. When I say "I'm going to a concert", it's the symphony I'm referring to :)
      November 6, 2016 11:39 PM MST

I have been to a few at our concert hall. My son used to get me $5 tickets when he was playing with our University orchestra. Once you are seated the ushers would tell us we could go down to the best seats that were open. I don't like going alone...my wife doesn't like the classics so it has been a while.
      November 7, 2016 7:33 AM MST

@Element, tell your wife you are going to invite someone to go with you to the opera. She won't like this. Soon she will be joining you. The symphony orchestra usually gives pop concerts. They play all the fun music anyone would like. They also have Christmas concerts. 

I went to a symphony concert not to long ago. It was a free concert as well. They played themes from James Bond movies. It was awesome to hear "Goldfinger"..... all jazz music! This post was edited by Marguerite, the Beloved at November 7, 2016 8:01 AM MST
      November 7, 2016 8:00 AM MST

We live just fine.
      November 7, 2016 1:08 PM MST

Witnessing your first symphony orchestra concert can be a pretty special experience, at least it was for me.
      November 15, 2016 2:22 PM MST