Active Now

Element 99
Shuhak
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Do you have people at your work that say they have allergies so your employer has implemented a no fragrance workplace?

Do you have people at your work that say they have allergies so your employer has implemented a no fragrance workplace?

I understand some have allergies to heavy fragrances and at times it's like people almost bathe in it.  But how do they handle living in the real world where they come in contact with smells all the time, whether they're buying laundry detergent or shampoo at the store, or passing another customer that used aftershave.  Yet at the workplace you can't dab a small amount of perfume or cologne on or use a certain brand deodorant or fabric softener.  Do you think some people have pushed the issue just a little too far.

Posted - November 6, 2016

Responses

I'm not allergic to fragrance, but there are certain perfumes that give me an instant headache or make me cough.  When you're at work, you're a captive audience and can't get away from the offending smell for seven hours or so.  Almost everywhere else, you can either walk away or you're only exposed to it for a short time. 
      November 6, 2016 8:45 PM MST

I implemented such a policy because I don't like to smell the chemicals that people call fragrance.  Hate it!  The employees had never heard of  such a policy but they didn't complain too much.   I was in a neurologist's office a few days ago and there was a sign saying that no fragrance could be worn in the office.........employees or patients.  I was like........YES!   Soon there will be the fragrance-free sections for restaurants and bars.   Fragrance is a way wealthy women tout their superiority......................wearing expensive fragrances.  I swear, I have left country club affairs soon after arriving more than once because I could not breathe because of it.   Heck, I had to leave a PTA meeting one time because of the aggregate of chemical fragrances. This post was edited by Thriftymaid at November 6, 2016 9:10 PM MST
      November 6, 2016 9:05 PM MST

It has nothing to do with wealth or showing off.  There are some very expensive perfumes that stink, in my opinion.  There are plenty of inexpensive fragrances that smell nice, it's just that when you make the choice to wear it, someone else has to live with it whether they like it or not. 
      November 6, 2016 9:34 PM MST

Your experiences are yours.  You have not shared mine.  I don't need help understanding my own experiences.  Thanks anyway.   
      November 6, 2016 9:55 PM MST

I see, you're one of those people who believes THEIR view, THEIR opinion, THEIR experiences are the only ones that count.  No problem.  You are right, at least in one respect - I don't attend events at country clubs. This post was edited by SpunkySenior at November 7, 2016 11:48 PM MST
      November 7, 2016 5:07 AM MST

I agree SpunkySenior.  To be perfectly honest, I can't tell the difference between the expensive stuff and the cheap stuff.  And I've never heard anyone say that women with money show they're superior by dabbing expensive perfume behind their ears.  I wonder if men have ever been guilty of that or if it's just a "girl thing".  :)
      November 7, 2016 4:11 AM MST

Most men wouldn't know one woman's fragrance from another.  I wonder if they have a poorer sense of smell as they don't seem to be as bothered by perfumes or whether they just have a different effect on men than on women.
      November 7, 2016 5:09 AM MST

I love your first line, "most men wouldn't know one woman's fragrance from another."  You're absolutely right!  I liken it to  woman's hairdo too: I can't tell the difference between when she rolls out of bed and runs a comb through it for 30 seconds and when she sits in a beauty parlor for an hour and pays $60 to get it done!

November 7, 2016 5:37 AM MST

I suggest you not say that to your wife and you just might dodge a bullet. 
      November 7, 2016 8:00 PM MST

I say it to her all the time, and get this: she's a hairdresser, too.
    ~
      November 7, 2016 9:47 PM MST

You're probably right, SS, that most men wouldn't be able to distinguish one fragrance from another.  I do think perfumes have a different effect on men though.  When men smell ANY kind of perfume, their testosterone skyrockets to dangerous levels.  ;)
      November 7, 2016 8:05 PM MST

That may not be the only thing that skyrockets. :)
      November 8, 2016 5:14 PM MST

Did you hear me laughing out loud?  Well you should have.  You really ARE a SpunkySenior, huh?  lol
      November 9, 2016 7:47 PM MST

Thanks.  I find trying to look at things with a sense of humor eases the pain of getting older. :)
      November 9, 2016 8:01 PM MST

Great way to live life.  I wish I could do that all the time.  I'm a work in progress I guess.  How boring it would be to be perfect in a sea of imperfects.  lol.  Uh oh, I think I did it again.  Oh, never mind, I didn't even recognize my own sense of humor.  
      November 9, 2016 8:07 PM MST

It took me a long time to look at life that way.  We are all a work in progress until we die.  Yes, I can't imagine being perfect when everyone else not.  Must be quite stressful.
      November 10, 2016 9:04 PM MST

One never knows for sure what changes could be implemented in the future, but I doubt that they would ever have fragrance free sections.  There have been plenty of instances, however, where I wished restaurants had a bratty kid-free section. 

Who exactly are those rich ladies suppose to be wearing the odor of wealth for?  Probably not the other rich ladies.  So by the process of elimination, could it be for the benefit of poor folk?  I kinna doubt they could distinguish the difference between an old bitty wearing Hermes 24 Faubough at $1,500/oz and Clive Christian No. 1 Imperial Magesty at $12,720/oz.  I know I couldn't.

If you implemented a fragrance free office, you probably didn't hear much complaining.  Employees complain far more when they aren't within earshot of the boss - a hell of a lot more.  You shouldn't assume just because you don't hear complaints, that there aren't any.

It's a shame you had to cut your country club affairs short .  The hardships you experienced must have been devastating.

November 7, 2016 7:58 PM MST

Can you imagine the trauma of having to leave a country club event? 
      November 8, 2016 8:06 PM MST

I hope you won't mind me correcting you dahlin, but it wasn't JUST an ordinary "event".  This was a country club "affair".  And no, I can't begin to think of what life altering effects could have resulted from the shame and humiliation.   So I count my lucky stars that I didn't fall into that tax bracket and that MY "events" consist of local carnivals, county fairs and the hard tops on Saturday night at the fairgrounds.  
      November 9, 2016 3:06 AM MST

Sometimes being part of the lower class is easier.  We just have to worry about not being taken to the woodshed for wearing white after Labor Day.  :)
      November 9, 2016 7:26 PM MST

Thanks for the warning.  I've been guilty of that for years.  ;))
      November 9, 2016 7:48 PM MST

Well, at least you will know what to wear when you're invited to an "affair" at the country club after Labor Day.
      November 9, 2016 8:02 PM MST

(no-fragrance)
      November 6, 2016 9:58 PM MST

(no fragrance)   :P
      November 7, 2016 11:27 PM MST