Discussion » Questions » Politics » Pres Obama tells illegals it is ok for them to vote. When you vote you are a citizen, what? Do you agree?

Pres Obama tells illegals it is ok for them to vote. When you vote you are a citizen, what? Do you agree?

If I vote, will immigration know where I live?   Will they come for my family and deport us?”

“Not true,” Obama said.   “The reason is, first of all, when you vote, you are a citizen yourself, and there is not a situation where the voting rules are transferred over and people start investigating.”

Obama said the sanctity of the vote is strictly confidential.

http://dennismichaellynch.com/obama-tells-illegal-dreamer-ok-vote/

Posted - November 7, 2016

Responses

@m2c -- Exactly. You are stuck in Concrete Operations. You hear exactly what President Obama said and cannot engage in the Formal Operations construct that literal words sometimes do not convey intended meaning.

So you sit there and repeat, "He SAID IT. HE DID! HE DID!" when we can cite countless examples of people saying things where their literal words did not convey their intended meaning.

This implies you are either no more mentally advanced than a 5th-grader (around age 11-12 is when people in modern rich industrialized countries with universal education start to display Formal Operations), or, as I noted in my original post, you insist what President Obama MEANT is what you WANT his words to have meant (because he's a STOOPID EBIL LIBURHL DEMOCRAP), not what President Obama intended his words to mean. This post was edited by OldSchoolTheSKOSlives at November 7, 2016 6:14 PM MST
      November 7, 2016 6:13 PM MST

So you admit he did in fact say it. It was not a selectively edited video. Now you claim it was a mistake. Again if it was the he should clear it up by making a clear statement saying illegals cannot vote/should not vote. He said 4 days ago and has not bothered to clear up any confusion.... 
      November 7, 2016 7:17 PM MST

@m2c -- Of course I admit Obama said what he said. It's right there on the video.

However, the Vast Right Wing Echo Chamber excerpting of the video leaves out the relatively long explanation Obama gives after the "incriminating" section, which does much to make clear his probable intentions and real meaning. Just as not noting President Reagan was joking around during a mic check gives a misleading impression of his "We've outlawed Russia and begin bombing in 5 minutes" comment.

Meanwhile, I don't think Obama is under any illusion that a "clarification" would satisfy you or your fellow RAWFs, any more than James Comey's comments that HRC didn't commit any prosecutable crimes (or that there was any incriminating evidence in the Abedin/Weiner e-mails) will stop RAWFs/Trump supporters from chanting "Lock her up!"

I'm sorry your under the delusion President Obama owes you some sort of corrective for your ideologically-based blindness.
      November 7, 2016 8:01 PM MST

The question is did Obama REALLY say it? If he did then YOU'RE the one trying to make the words mean something other that what was really said.That's on you and Obama, not on my2cents.

And yes, Obama really did mean that if that's what he said. He has an army of speechwriters and political advisers to "vet" every punctuation mark in every one of his speeches. There are no "accidental" words or "mis-spoken" phrases in a Presidential speech. That "excuse" didn't fly for Nixon and it doesn't work for Obama. This post was edited by Salt and Red Pepper at November 7, 2016 8:00 PM MST
      November 7, 2016 7:59 PM MST

@Salty Herbert -- I recommend you watch the entire video. This was not a Presidential speech. This was an interview with a relatively young, relatively inexperienced Latina reporter who minced her words. President Obama was responding to her question, and later joked about the reporter's aunt's Arroz con Pollo recipe. There was NOT an army of speechwriters or political advisers vetting everything he said.

As I noted to your fellow RAWF, President Reagan SAID "We've outlawed Russia and begin bombing in 5 minutes"

If you are willing to grant that President Reagan was not serious and did not mean what his literal words meant when he said them, but insist President Obama's literal words must be EXACTLY what you believe they mean..well, that just makes you an ideologically-blindered F***ING HYPOCRITE, as usual.
      November 7, 2016 8:05 PM MST

I'm not interested in watching the entire video. I already know the bolt of cloth than Obama was torn from.

But I will say this, if it occurred during an interview then it WAS a Presidential speech. Those interviews are NEVER "ad libbed", contrary to what you might want others to believe. He had knowledge of the questions that were to be asked and at the very le ast, his staff's crib notes. So you can stow that line about it being an "off the cuff" remark right now.

As to your specious Reagan example . . . that took place during a sound check (I was there when he said it), not during an actual speech or an interview or anything else aimed for public consumption. The ONLY reason it came to public light was because the "pool" feed was already hot "to the bird", getting VERY close to airtime. It was quite obvious that he was being jovial for the news engineering and technical people. (I also have knowledge of what he said BEFORE the mic went hot, there were some very frustrating technical issues). So again, you can take that bullcrap and stow it.

Your entire couched response makes YOU the hypocrite, by the way. All you're trying to do is deflect that fact so that you're not in the cross-hairs where you deserve to be.

November 7, 2016 8:26 PM MST

@Salty Herbert --  Re: "I'm not interested in watching the entire video. I already know the bolt of cloth than Obama was torn from."

In other words, Obama is A STOOPID EBIL LIBRIUHL COMMIE DEMOCRAP TRAITOR as is, therefore, not subject to the same allowances (that his literal words may not be what he intended to say)  the Great Sainted President Reagan is granted.

Thank you for admitting my point about your ideologically-driven F***ING HYPOCRISY...;-D...

This post was edited by OldSchoolTheSKOSlives at November 7, 2016 8:32 PM MST
      November 7, 2016 8:30 PM MST

In other words after 8 years of watching that piece of crap I know what he is. I chose to believe what I see and what I've experienced over those 8-years and not the fairy tales that you try to make up about that turd that's floating in the Washington, DC punchbowl. And yes, he does appear to be what you like to call him, your childish machinations aside.

I do find it interesting though that so many people with English as a native language have "misunderstood" what he said. If that's the case then those who are less fluent in the language are certain to hear it that wrong way. It's almost like he intended to get illegals to vote. This post was edited by Salt and Red Pepper at November 7, 2016 11:33 PM MST
      November 7, 2016 11:29 PM MST

1. First of all, this video edits the conversation to play part of what was said for that minute. However, Obama explained it very clear. He is a great communicator. 
    2. Obama said if you can vote ( only citizens vote), go ahead and make your voice heard. He said the problem with some Latinos is that they are scared off from voting, because they fear they will deport their families, who are not legal.
    3. So Obama reassured her that would not happen. He said you have the right to vote (if you are a citizen). 
    4. Nowhere did Obama say that illegal immigrants can vote. If he had, Neil would have put it on the air, instead of this clip. 
    5. People should watch the whole conversation from the beginning.
      November 7, 2016 3:50 PM MST

People, do, Marguerite.  Tea Partiers DO NOT. But I have a hard time believing they are totally human anyway.  You are supposed to be born with a brain to be a people, I THOUGHT.
      November 7, 2016 3:52 PM MST