Active Now

Malizz
Randy D
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » There's always been jokes about women being bad drivers, but did you know that men are actually the worst drivers?

There's always been jokes about women being bad drivers, but did you know that men are actually the worst drivers?

Did you know that 80% of all fatal and serious car crashes are caused by men, that men outnumber women 3-1 in DUI violations, traffic violations are higher for men in all categories, such as speeding, failure to yield and reckless driving.  And those statistics are why insurance for men is more expensive than for women, at least in the United States. What do you men think 'bout that? 

Posted - November 8, 2016

Responses

• I knew the men outnumbered the women, but had no idea it was this disproportionate.
      November 8, 2016 1:26 AM MST

The statistics surprised me as well.  And considering the fact that there are more women drivers than men drivers in the US, it's even more surprising.  The only statistic I could find was a 2010 study that said there were 105.7 million women drivers compared to 104.3 million men.
      November 8, 2016 1:36 AM MST

• Between the DUI's and Texting, I hate to even drive .. sad
      November 8, 2016 1:45 AM MST

Stop drinking & texting then.  lol
      November 8, 2016 2:58 AM MST

I'm not surprised. A lot of men tend to find their macho gen when behind a wheel. Being macho means less air to the brain and thereby also a lot of miscalculations. Worth keeping in mind, not only when in the traffic, but also when voting for politicians. The machos brings you in troubles. Sorry, had to be said.
      November 8, 2016 1:45 AM MST

That wasn't an exceptionally smooth transition from driving to voting.  Isn't that similar to a changing lane violation?  
      November 8, 2016 3:03 AM MST

It might not have been smooth but it was the connection I had in mind when writing it. The kind of macho 'rage' and out of control must have reminded me about someone. Hmm.
      November 8, 2016 3:05 AM MST

I see what your intention was. However, I believe you failed to see the irony in this.  You not only say women are better drivers than men, but you extend that even further to include voting, at the EXACT and precise moment you've been found guilty of a serious traffic violation worthy of a healthy fine and possibly points off.  I believe THAT would definitely be the definition of the pot calling the kettle black. Catch my drift and see the irony now???
      November 8, 2016 3:23 AM MST

I saw it instantly, don't you worry. I'm just pulling through with my changing lane. Don't you know the accidents happen when you are indecisive and driving in two lanes..? ;-) 
      November 8, 2016 3:27 AM MST

• I agree .. 
      November 8, 2016 1:47 AM MST

• Hi... I'm going to be a bit of a sceptic here ... But only in this regard .. you mention women outnumber men as drivers in the USA in a certain year ... But total numbers of drivers in no way correlates to total miles driven ... I do agree with you that men, in my experience, are more agro than women whilst driving ... But conversely I feel men spend more time driving then women do, so there may be an apparent over representation in the statistics that may, when miles traveled is factored in, bring the figures back into alignment.
    I'll go and hide now
      November 8, 2016 3:21 AM MST

A few remarks to your more scientific approach, Oz. First, DUI won't depend on driven miles. And second, it takes a huge difference in miles to make up for covering 80% of all fatal and serious car crashes. Last but not least, it won't only be driven miles in the latter but also comparing miles/hours/road types to really look deeper into this. *looks for a hiding spot too*
      November 8, 2016 3:32 AM MST

Men are more at risk for many reasons. Do not confuse safer with better.
      November 8, 2016 4:34 AM MST

• That's a good point.
      November 8, 2016 4:36 AM MST

With death involved safer WILL be better.
      November 8, 2016 4:47 AM MST