Active Now

Malizz
CosmicWunderkind
Discussion » Questions » Politics » for those who know their SciFi

for those who know their SciFi

... was Harry Seldon correct? .. is Donald Trump the anticipated Mule?

Posted - November 9, 2016

Responses

g'day oz,will post an answer after googling harry seldon
      November 9, 2016 4:04 AM MST

• Ah.. research time lol
      November 9, 2016 4:20 AM MST

is mars attack sci-fi ?
      November 9, 2016 4:29 AM MST

• I'll admit I'm disappointed in the general lack of knowledge of sci fi classics ... Sheesh ... The Foundation series :)
      November 9, 2016 12:29 PM MST

i've found one

Earth Women Are Easy
      November 11, 2016 1:14 AM MST

November 9, 2016 4:23 AM MST

It is too early to tell.  We have to colonise the whole galaxy first and transfer the capital to Trantor first.
      November 9, 2016 6:33 AM MST

There are similarities though.
      November 9, 2016 10:34 AM MST

Nope.  He is the anticipated PIG.  His dad was a bore and his mom was a jackal.   He is one of a kind.

We don't need Sci-Fi.  They couldn't come up with a character this pathetic.
      November 9, 2016 12:38 PM MST

I think you are misremembering the Foundation series.

Trump is not an outlier who upsets the fundamental assumptions of our political system. He is simply the distillation of racist/sexist/xenophobic/anti-intellectual threads which have been part of the American body politic pretty much since the country was founded.

He is the (political) reincarnation of Joseph McCarty, Barry Goldwater, George Wallace, and so forth, not a mutant with unusual mind control powers (as The Mule was in the Foundation series).

If we truly did have a science of psychohistory, the outcome of this election (which was VERY narrowly decided. HRC won the popular vote and a shift of less than one million votes sprinkled between several narrowly-won states could have reversed the result) would not be so unexpected.

In a time of great anti-Establisment opinion when the media has evolved to cover elections as "Reality TV" horse races, a man who spouts a strong line of anti-Establishment rhetoric and who understands the mechanics of Reality TV runs against a politician who is the epitome of the Establishment (and many of its excesses). The outcome isn't terribly surprising.

November 9, 2016 12:52 PM MST

• Nice answer old school ... Well thought reply ... I must admit it's been a while since I've read foundation but the similarities b between messieurs trump and Mule interested me This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at November 11, 2016 4:48 AM MST
      November 11, 2016 4:43 AM MST

• The Mule kept his identity and agenda hidden.
    Trump is an exhibitionist who's agenda seems to change direction like a bullish butterfly.
      November 9, 2016 1:49 PM MST

Oh l remember the series from ABC radio....and the name 'Bliss'...and 'Hober Mallow'!
      November 11, 2016 8:43 PM MST