Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Politics » Do you think Clinton's "Basket of Deplorables" remark hurt her campaign as much as Romney's "47 percent" comment hurt him in 2012?

Do you think Clinton's "Basket of Deplorables" remark hurt her campaign as much as Romney's "47 percent" comment hurt him in 2012?

It sure seems like it. Nobody likes to be looked down upon by someone they consider elitist.

Posted - November 10, 2016

Responses

Only those who rushed to identify themselves as being deplorable...as opposed to the KKK etc. who supported him and unquestionably ARE deplorable.  But they were only hearing what they wanted to hear anyhow.
      November 10, 2016 9:56 AM MST

I think it is a similar thing. It is to ignore all your fault say the only reason someone would not support you is because of this other reason. If you do not support me I will accuse you of being leech of government money or some deplorable racist. It is something that makes the person saying it look so low and ineffective. In addition even where there is truth to the statement a real leader could find a way to connect with people even if they do not pay federal tax or they are racist. If 1/4 of people in america are racist then it is the job of the leader to connect to them and represent them and not just call them deplorable. If 47% of people rely on goverment money then it is the job of a leader to connect to them rather than to just dismiss them as leeches.
      November 10, 2016 12:05 PM MST

@ITpro -- Sorry, but you are simply WRONG, both on a moral and practical basis.

On a practical basis, the "deplorables" HRC spoke about were NEVER going to vote for her in any significant numbers, regardless of what she said.

On a moral basis, I see NO reason why I'm supposed to "connect with" and "represent" people who are fundamentally deplorable. I see no reason to shape political policies so people who believe The Moon Is Made of Green Cheese can have their views represented. I ESPECIALLY don't see any reason to accomdate those beliefs when they will result in discrimination and possibly violence.

November 10, 2016 12:50 PM MST

By that argument the 47% was not going to vote for romney in significant numbers. But his statement still lowered him and offended many who would vote for him. We do not all take kindly to insults of others.

If you are elected as a representative it is your job to represent those whose views you share and views you do not share. If they are very wrong in their views then connect with them in a reasonable way and have discussion to understand their position and have them understand your position. People who believe in the cheese moon are still paying taxes and contributing to society and their belief in a moon of cheese does not mean you do not include them in a discussion about bank regulation. That is how leadership can bridge a two party system and things which are good for everyone can happen instead of one group of people simply disagreeing with anything the other group puts forth as reflex.
      November 10, 2016 7:49 PM MST

Really? You think there was a substantial number of voters who were leaning HRC but when they heard the "basket of deplorables" remark changed their views?

Do you have ANY evidence to support that notion?

Meanwhile, back in the Reality-Based Community, the strongest predictors for being a Trump supporter were:

1) Being a Republican
    2) Being a sexist
    3) Being a racist
    4) Being an authoritarian

If you have found a population of bigoted authoritarian GOPers who were going to vote for the Criminal Abortionist Feminazi HRC, but changed their minds when they heard the "deplorables" comment...well, you should get a job in political consulting, because no one else has spotted such a population. This post was edited by OldSchoolTheSKOSlives at November 10, 2016 5:28 PM MST
      November 10, 2016 12:40 PM MST

Did you know that he's also been a Democrat? He changed his party registration something like seven times since about 2010. And how do you know that folks who leaned toward Trump but might not have bothered to vote weren't motivated by that to actually turn out? This post was edited by Stu Spelling Bee at November 10, 2016 1:35 PM MST
      November 10, 2016 1:33 PM MST

@StuB -- I have heard about Trump switching parties, but it's not relevant to the discussion.

He was the GOP nominee this election cycle. There never really was a plausible scenario where significant numbers of self-identified Republicans were going to vote for HRC. At the end of the day, most people will vote for their party's candidate unless given a compelling reason not to. We saw this in the Congressional elections where incumbents returned to office in line with historical norms.
      November 10, 2016 1:40 PM MST

And, of course, Hillary was bucking history. It's extremely rare for a candidate who wasn't a sitting president (like Truman or LBJ, who ascended from VP) to be elected to succeed a president of the same party. I believe the only times it happened in the last 120 years or so were Taft after Teddy Roosevelt and GHW Bush after Reagan.
      November 10, 2016 7:20 PM MST

A substantial number of people was not what determined the election but rather a small number of people in particular states.
    To lose just 1 percent of a vote to a very dumb comment can be to lose an election.
    It is not what loyal republicans or democrats thought of that comment that matters but rather what undecided voters in the center and voters with no motivation on the left and right fringe thought of such a comment. To say trump supports are deplorable racists does not win votes in the center or motivate voters of the far left. It probably does motivate voters of the far right.
      November 10, 2016 7:54 PM MST

Nope.  I think they tried to make it so.  I think they spread that nonsense as a reason to denigrate her and the only people it pissed off was those deplorables that would never have chosen her anyway.   They had a power-hungry machine making sure anything she did looked really bad to compensate for his horrific publicity throughout this whole rotten ordeal. 

Romney was just totally out of his league.  The Republicans thought they had that one in the bag.  They got lazy with their stupid innuendos.  All they had was Trump yelling Birth Certificate making them look like the total asses we all know them to be.

Hillary was right on.  Spot on.  She called it like it was.  They would have kept it up with that email nonsense and if they did not have that one, they would have tried some other sleeze bag approach.

Well the nation will suffer for this choice.  Mark my words.  This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at November 10, 2016 5:29 PM MST
      November 10, 2016 12:47 PM MST

• Definitely ... But not because she called them deplorable ... But because she ignored what they were saying
      November 10, 2016 1:51 PM MST

"Sometimes seeds from rotten fruit make the strongest plants."  --------- from Trumpfucious. 
      November 10, 2016 3:00 PM MST