Active Now

Malizz
Randy D
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Politics » 26%!

26%!

I believe that is the percentage of eligible voters that decided trump should be your next president .. is it time to revisit compulsory voting to help prevent such traversties from happening again?

Posted - November 13, 2016

Responses

• I've been known not to vote... but this is in the UK where to be honest they are all much the same, no high stakes, no low stakes... I never vote for the mainstream two.. well ok i did on one occasion only and regretted it.. I vote when it counts.

I would have thought people would have voted in this case.. perhaps they all thought that Clinton had it in the bag..that's perhaps why those polls are so damaging - they have a habit of being wrong
      November 13, 2016 11:58 AM MST

• It always counts, always.
      November 13, 2016 12:10 PM MST

• I think you misrepresent the virtues of compulsory voting as it happens in Australia. We could talk about that if you wish.
      November 13, 2016 12:09 PM MST

• I'll be honest .. compulsory voting is all I've ever known ....I just find it extremely odd that while half the world suffers under not being allowed to vote, many people can't be bothered to vote ... It's going to take a lot to convince me that Mr &Mrs  Apathy didn't vote in Trump ... I feel like saying you made the bed so go and lie down... And no getting up for four years
      November 13, 2016 12:34 PM MST

• I agree, first of all, apathy, condescending, and complacency lost our selection. 
    But looking at how many people actually register to vote in Australia, and seeing how only ten of your "states" abide by compulsory voting, I'd be hard pressed to say that Australia as a whole supports it. 
    That said, I agree completely with what you said.
      November 13, 2016 12:43 PM MST

• Um mm. .. hate to be the bearer of bad news but we only have six States and two territories. .. voting is compulsory in all
      November 13, 2016 1:42 PM MST

• I'm sure you're right, 
    I wouldn't pretend to know about that more than you do.
    You're from there.
    Exactly.
    ; )
      November 13, 2016 1:49 PM MST

• Here it really depends on where the nonvoters lived as to whether they helped Trump by not voting.
      November 13, 2016 1:35 PM MST

• I hear what you are saying. .. But I have this brief that may be wrong that only the most motivated will vote ... and I think trump gave motivation to a lot of people with axes to grind
      November 13, 2016 1:44 PM MST

• I agree with you Ozgirl, but I've learned here on aM that American citizens are totally appalled at the idea of compulsory voting.

When voting is voluntary, those who are least educated, poorest, and most disadvantaged are less likely to choose to vote -- they feel their vote cannot make a difference -- they have not had the opportunity to discover the potential effects of their collective power. And those who wrote the constitution know this -- it is part of the means by which they rigged the system to keep power and wealth in the hands of the minority elite.

I wish all Americans could have the opportunity of a one-year visit over here, just to see what a difference compulsory voting makes.
      November 13, 2016 2:25 PM MST

• Thanks HF ... interesting thought ... Just finished reading an article the other day by a American law professor on the thinking behind the electoral college ... rather scary... Apparently in the early days the southern States could count their slaves as inhabitants thereby giving them more votes in the electoral college
      November 13, 2016 4:03 PM MST

So, nothing has changed one iota.
      November 13, 2016 5:24 PM MST

• It would appear not ... But in whose hands does the responsibly for change lie?  I wouldn't be holding my breath waiting for the pollies to do so ...
      November 13, 2016 5:49 PM MST

• If 26% had elected Clinton, would it have been a fair system?
      November 13, 2016 5:55 PM MST

If ONE percent would have elected Clinton it would have been more fair than this because it would have been an accurate representation and we would not have to worry about what will happen tomorrow. 

This guy did not play fair and lost all credibility ages ago.  Anything done TO him is warranted.  When it comes to getting rid of Trump all systems GO.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at November 13, 2016 8:29 PM MST
      November 13, 2016 8:26 PM MST

Hillary did not play fair and she lost. If she had been fair in the primaries she probably would have won or bernie would have won. There is not one to blame except her and her fake demo co conspirators.
      November 14, 2016 6:37 AM MST