Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » why do people like to make repetitive movements all the time?

why do people like to make repetitive movements all the time?

I just got this job in a calling center and the other people in my training class, like to move their chairs back and forth in circles, they swing their legs back and forth or move them back and forth, i find it very distracting when im trying to learn and cant say nothing cause they do it anyways and if i move someone else somewhere else is moving around too, why cant people sit still and let others learn? i find it very hard to pay attention like that and its so distracting, so why do they do it?

Posted - November 17, 2016

Responses

• Sitting in one position for a long time is not good for circulation and health.
    There is a natural instinct to move.
    When bored, it can often translate into the need to fidget.
      November 17, 2016 6:26 PM MST

i know but it makes it hard for me to learn and drives me nuts the repetitive movements
      November 17, 2016 6:37 PM MST

• That sounds really annoying and frustrating for you.
    So your need is to not be distracted.
    What sorts of things best help you with concentration?

As a student, I found it easier to listen to the lecturer when sitting right down at the front, as close as possible.
      November 17, 2016 9:05 PM MST

I worked in a call center. People fidget a heck of a lot more at work than they will in class.
    Something you're going to have to get used to.
    (The woman next to me used to brush her hair - 300 strokes, each side; then put on lipstick. You want to talk about distracting?)
      November 17, 2016 7:25 PM MST