Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » What should we be worried about?

What should we be worried about?

Posted - November 17, 2016

Responses

We are going to die.

It is inevitable.   If you can think of nothing else, maybe you can chew on what that really means, people.  We have only a certain amount of time on this planet.  But we spend at least 50-75 percent of our day worrying.  We are addicted to it.   

Do you remember what you were upset about 3 months ago?  Did it help to worry about it in retrospect?  Wouldn't it have been better not to and just try to live in each moment and take it as it comes?  If that sounds preposterous, that is a measure of just how sick we are.  We think this is normal.    We have lost the ability NOT to worry.  We do not have the tools to keep our minds clear and calm through strife.  Its effects last.   We learn to just worry as a habitual practice because we have nothing to compare.  We have no role models to emulate.  We have no instructions on how to make life calm and serene.    We think we can do nothing about fear and anxiety that stops us from enjoying far too many moments of our lives. 

There is no way we can NEVER worry.  But the imbalance of worry versus worry-free enjoyed time is not acceptable if we are talking about a life worth living.

Worry is hell.  It is fear and anxiety based.   It is hard to do one's best when that ball and chain are added to our plate. 

We should plan and prepare and do our best.  Worry serves little purpose to me.  It gums up the works in most cases. This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at November 18, 2016 12:33 AM MST
      November 17, 2016 11:18 PM MST

So...your saying we should be worried about being worried?...
      November 18, 2016 12:33 AM MST

I'm trying to stop worrying so much about things. Worry is all I do. Worry accomplishes nothing if you cannot fix it.
      November 17, 2016 11:45 PM MST

I asked the question because I'm currently reading the book I posted in the description. At least ***some*** of the things we worry about DO have corrections, or we have good reason to think they won't come to pass, or simply are way beyond our control (e.g. if aliens are listening for our radio signals and they do wish us harm, we can't stop them).
      November 18, 2016 12:37 AM MST

An impending alien attack is what I worry about the most... 
      November 18, 2016 12:40 AM MST

@LL -- If you're serious, I suggest you read up on just how overwhelmingly expensive such an attack would be.

Just to give a human-scale analogy. Imagine there is a quart bottle of water in the middle of Death Valley. Imagine the aliens have to travel from Uzbekistan to Death Valley using horses and sailing ships to capture that quart bottle of water. WHY would they ever bother?  Yes, water is a useful life-promoting substance, but spending $1 billion to obtain a bottle of water which could be obtained locally for $1.50 is simply folly.
      November 18, 2016 12:47 AM MST

I wasn't serious, lol, but thanks... I'll put my tinfoil hat away now ;)
      November 18, 2016 1:52 AM MST

OH FOR PETE'S SAKE...

WE SHOULD WORRY ABOUT NOTHNG........NOTHING AT ALL!!!!!

worrying is  a CHOICE.........so if you choose NOT to worry, and dwell on the nice things in your life instead, you'll be better off.

NONE OF US on this site or any other has anything to really worry about when you put things IN PERSPECTIVE.

Used to work with a guy who went into the military right out of high school.............when he retired, he told me that people in our country HAVE NO IDEA, for example, what poverty is......and that the 'poorest' person in the USA lives like a king compared to other parts of the world.

anyway, DON'T WORRY about stuff.......

you always ATTRACT WHAT YOU PUT YOUR THOUGHTS AND ATTENTION TO!!!!!!!!!!!!

SEE?????????????

SO JUST KEEP SMILIN'.........

:-D
      November 27, 2016 12:17 PM MST