Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Politics » Do you believe right-wing extremists pose more of a threat than ISIS extremists?

Do you believe right-wing extremists pose more of a threat than ISIS extremists?

We have a programme in the UK called prevent - it runs through all schools, colleges and I think businesses - it's designed to pick up signs of extremism and especially terrorism threats. It focuses on people who are, or are in danger of being converted to extremist views. It protects others from those who try to radicalise others. 

So the latest findings of the programme apparently show that way more of the reports they received have been from right wing extremists than ISIS extremists.

What should we think about that? Are there really more right wing extremists? or are there less reports of ISIS type extremists? Which is more dangerous anyway?

Posted - November 22, 2016

Responses

All extremists freak me out.
      November 22, 2016 2:19 AM MST

• I have a problem with behavioural mapping programmes like Prevent, as I do with any predictive punative model.
    At some point they will inevitably get it wrong, while my mind is cast towards the inexcusable stop and search powers which has become a tool of instutionalised racism within the police. 
    Probability is a problem especially when applied to people, possibility even more so though a good mathematician could and should tell me that is wrong. 

But as to which extremist group is more dangerous we'll have to wait and see. (Possible adjunct? if right-wing extremists become part of the establishment, which is more dangerous then).

Interesting question, daydream. Thank you.
      November 22, 2016 3:54 AM MST

• Thank you and thank you for an interesting, thought-provoking answer.. I am not sure Prevent works...I think that's why i asked.. I think it doesn't pick up those who are in danger of being radicalised but victimises others..and that they are really only picking up right wing extremists does suggest that whatever they hoped for - it isn't working.
      November 22, 2016 7:47 AM MST

• In Australia, there are some extremist white-supremacist groups. They work secretly because propagating hate and racism is illegal.

(Yes, I recognise the contradictions with things I've said before. Our government does not recognise the racism in its endless failures to fix problems in Aboriginal communities which are at least in part caused by its own bungling.)

An example. Nobody knew of a particular group operating down in Adelaide. But when Pauline Hansen first got elected to Parliament and gave her maiden speech, she publically declared that Aboriginals must not be given any advantages over whites through the welfare system and that all Muslim immigration should be banned. She said a lot of other blatantly racist things about almost every group that was not of British descent. 15% of Australians agreed with her. Within a week, an Aboriginal boy of seven was doused in petrol and set on fire. In the school playground, in front of all the other kids.

The boy, Jandamarra O'Shane, is the son of a famous liberal Aboriginal magistrate, from a family reknowned for its professional success and its political activism on behalf of Aboriginals. Jandamarra survived, but it was in intensive care for a long time. He required multiple surgeries to replace the burnt skin. Donations poured in from all over Australia, especially from whites.

When police tracked down the perpetrator, it turned out to be a teenager from the group in Adelaide, who had traveled half-way across the continent to perpetrate that crime. When asked why, he answered that Hansen's speech had proved to his group that now was the time to come out in the open. He was convicted and sent to prison. This happened back in 1996.

In my view, this story illustrates why we do need to be vigilant about extremism.

This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at November 22, 2016 7:48 AM MST
      November 22, 2016 4:20 AM MST

• He got life I believe.  Do you know if he's still inside?
      November 22, 2016 6:13 AM MST

• Yep, still inside, according to a friend who is a social worker and activist on behalf of Aboriginals.
    He will be up for possible parole in 5 years. I can only hope that age has cooled his violent tendencies and that perhaps prison has changed him for the better. The current system rarely does.
      November 23, 2016 2:57 PM MST

• Racism etc is illegal here in the UK too..if you say something racist you can, and most probably will be prosecuted.  I guess this is why i find it a bit shocking that some places seem to be openly saying racist things... 
      November 22, 2016 7:49 AM MST

• Like you, daydream, I find many things about the USA strange and difficult to understand.
    When we grow up with different mores and laws, we mostly take them as the norm and appreciate the results.
    They find it just as odd and incomprehensible when they encounter our differences.
      November 23, 2016 3:02 PM MST

Take a map of highlighted crime-ridden areas and notice all the are infested with leftist-extremists are highlighted, then maybe rethink the question.

Areas with so-called right-wing extremists are typically low in crime.

Not denying there are dangerous people when in comes to extremists of any brand but just look at the number of murders in Chicago in any given year since the turn of the century and tell me who poses the biggest threat, It is rather obvious, yet no one wants to own it. It belongs to the left-wing obviously and has the potential of being more dangerous than Isis and has probably already claimed more American lives. Chicago alone is all you really have to look into, we can look at NYC, L.A., D.C. and all the other areas controlled by the dems and see their 'tolerance' and policies attracts crime.

I am not for either major party but the whole democratic philosophy actually promotes violence by allowing thugs to go armed and often unpunished while law-abiding citizens are forbidden to protect themselves according to the second-amendment and are often afraid to even report crime or suspicious activity since political correctness reigns in these areas allowing criminals a free-pass.

Think about it, you are a criminal; would you target a gun-free zone or an area you were likely to die if you attack another human being? Many laws are set up to protect criminals in highly populated areas because they make up such a huge part of the population.

If right-wing extremists, and that term is used incorrectly often, decide to become dangerous it could be very damaging but with the exception of very few who forgot their meds,  they have no intention of doing harm. Millions of guns are owned by right-wingers and some left-wingers here in the south as well. We are here to protect ourselves, our friends, family and neighbors from harm. If anyone gives us a reason to fight, we surely will but it's the last thing on our agenda.

To compare right-wing extremist to ISIS while the bottom-of-the-barrel libs are going around destroying the country and committing domestic terrorism is something I can't understand. How do you even come up with this stuff?
      November 22, 2016 4:30 AM MST

Agree 100%
      November 22, 2016 5:00 AM MST

• There are so many things wrong and inaccurate about this response that it would make a discussion all on itself.
      November 22, 2016 5:32 AM MST

• Sorry Camel you are wrong, leftist ideas where people all think everyone deserves respect would hardly be places you see more crime.. I think you may be confusing those who are in deprived areas and disadvantaged with leftists.. leftists are the opposite of inciting crime. I think perhaps you also only count some crime when you defend right wing views? Like to some racist attacks and attacks on women etc are NOT considered a crime...But they are and unfortunately we would expect to see more crime with right wing strongholds against people who are black, asian etc.. arguably they might not attack people who meet their ideal view in their own neigbourhood but would think nothing of attacking other neighbourhoods where there are people they dislike.   Crimes against minorities and people they disapprove of are not acceptable and we would see more of that because they openly hate certain people. what are they gonna do..sit down all the people they hate and who disagree with them and give them all a cup of tea?

For what it's worth Camel I didn't "come up with this stuff" it is a fact..the Prevent programme has seen I think 2/3rd or more reports of right wing extremists than ISIS type radicalisation. You are entitled to your opinion but facts are facts and you don't need to make a personal insinuation about me x
      November 22, 2016 7:59 AM MST

Look at what the left wing anti-Trump criminals, errr protesters are doing.
    Look at groups like BLM "pigs in a blanket, Fry 'em like bacon" 
    The crime in cities like Chicago and other Democrat strongholds. 

No right wing extremists are not as dangerous as ISIS....when they start lining people up and cutting heads off and putting the on a pole, locking people of other faiths in a cage and throwing then in the water, raping women and children so much that the US government excuses it as just culture. Etc.  Then maybe you can compare right wing to ISIS.
      November 22, 2016 4:59 AM MST

• BLM pigs? Fry Em?

Aren't you a moderator here??
    This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at November 22, 2016 5:29 AM MST
      November 22, 2016 5:27 AM MST

• Of course!
      November 22, 2016 5:34 AM MST

Yes. I am  a moderator here.
    I am quoting what BLM are on video chanting: "Pigs in a blanket, Fry 'em like bacon" That is not against TOS. But if you I have posted against the TOS here, feel free to use the report button. As a mod I am not above the rules. 
      November 22, 2016 11:38 AM MST

• Of course you were. 
    Always nice to see the spirit of conciliatory effort that so characterizes you.
    I'm sure you didn't mean anything.
      November 22, 2016 12:39 PM MST

That is what they are on video chanting about the police. 
      November 22, 2016 1:56 PM MST

• Your flaw is to assume that the question referes purely to U.S. extremism (shall we brush over The Klan). I have an idea - look at what has been taking place in Eastern Europe, especially Russia. Your last and decisive paragraph could be equally applicable to them.
      November 22, 2016 5:30 AM MST

I am going to answer what I know about and I am American. As I understand it even USA left would be considered ring wing in Europe etc. 
    And just for the record the left in US created the KKK so brush upon that if you wish. I don't defend the Klan. Never have never will. 
    And as to my last paragraph you are correct ISIS is the evil group doing those things so imply that another that is not is apples and oranges.
      November 22, 2016 12:39 PM MST

And in other things m2c "knows":

War is Peace

Freedom is Slavery

Ignorance is Strength
      November 22, 2016 12:43 PM MST

Don't put words in my mouth.
      November 22, 2016 1:58 PM MST

@m2c -- If you are willing to "know" that "leftists" formed the KKK (instead of conservative white people who wanted to resist progressive change towards a pluralistic society) in order to defend your authoritarianism, I don't think there's any limit to the Doublethink you're willing to do...;-D..
      November 22, 2016 2:11 PM MST

In an 1868 newspaper interview, Forrest (First Grand Wizard)  stated that the Klan's primary opposition was to the Loyal LeaguesRepublican state governments, people such as Tennessee governor William Gannaway Brownlow and other "carpetbaggers" and "scalawags".[54] He argued that many southerners believed that blacks were voting for the Republican Party because they were being hoodwinked by the Loyal Leagues.

Historian Elene Parsons describing the Klan: Indeed, all they had in common, besides being overwhelmingly white, southern, and Democratic, was that they called themselves, or were called, Klansmen.[57]
      November 22, 2016 6:35 PM MST