Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » answerMug Members » Why do members change their name to "Benedict Arnold" when they leave this site?

Why do members change their name to "Benedict Arnold" when they leave this site?

I just noticed that name in my inbox. The guy who changed his name to that left without saying a word. He was on my friends list under a different name. I didn't unfriend him so he must have done that just before he bogged off. I didn't offend him, in fact I was starting to get on well with him in the messages, but now.... he's gone. Just like that. But his messages to me now carry the name Benedict Arnold in place of his other name. What's that all about?

Posted - November 26, 2016

Responses

http://answermug.com/faq/view/34/1/2/0/who-is-benedict-arnold
      November 26, 2016 3:40 PM MST

"Benedict Arnold was a no-good, dirty, rotten, traitor who deflected during the Revolutionary War"

That's a bit harsh, isn't it? Just because unfriended me and left the site without saying a word? I wouldn't go as far as to say he's a no-good, dirty, rotten, traitor. If he comes back with a new account I'll accept him as a friend again. :)
      November 26, 2016 3:52 PM MST

If he is whom I think he is, I hope he comes back.
    :) This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at November 26, 2016 3:55 PM MST
      November 26, 2016 3:54 PM MST

You're quoting the part that references the historical name.
    Benedict Arnold was a no-good, dirty, rotten, traitor who deflected during the Revolutionary War.

Ooh... you mean here on answerMug? That's the account name that becomes associated with content when someone closes their account or gets deleted by an admin. Sure, we could just call them "deleted members" or "former members," but where's the fun in that?

If you'd like to read more about the traitor, feel free to browse the Wikipedia page about him: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benedict_Arnold
    This post was edited by Just Asking at November 26, 2016 5:17 PM MST
      November 26, 2016 4:58 PM MST

I quoted that because it implies the former member is a no-good, dirty, rotten, traitor. That's what I meant when I said it was a bit harsh. It was my humorous response to what's in that link you showed me. Lol:)
      November 26, 2016 5:02 PM MST

• It's just a joke.  Adds some personality and flare to the site instead of just putting DA'ed or Anonymous when people leave.   I think it's kinda clever. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at November 27, 2016 12:22 PM MST
      November 26, 2016 5:18 PM MST

Haha. I still recall we discussed it inside a question you asked while we still were on the old platform, on what to call them when we got here. It's historic back to the revolutionary war, but also Here at answerMug. Lol.
      November 26, 2016 5:06 PM MST

Have you considered a career as a detective?
      November 26, 2016 7:18 PM MST

No, I haven't. Why?
      November 27, 2016 12:18 PM MST