Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Transportation » Harley riders. What are you trying so desperatly to compensate for with your painfully loud "bikes"?

Harley riders. What are you trying so desperatly to compensate for with your painfully loud "bikes"?

Posted - November 26, 2016

Responses

• loud pipes save  lives  ..  you are welcome   , but more-so  the rider's  life . 
    what are you  Cagers  trying so desperately to compensate for  in the comfort of your  half sound proofed living-room on wheels ,  while  you talk on your phones , crank the  radio ,  and  weave  into / cut off   on coming bikes  ?  

This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at November 26, 2016 11:39 PM MST
      November 26, 2016 8:11 PM MST

Can you present ANY evidence "loud pipes save lives"?  Other than personal anecode which requires the loud pipe advocate to GUESS at the attentional state of the person allegedly informed by the loud pipes and ASSERT without any evidence the "quite pipes" alternative scenario would have been worse, I am not aware of any.
      November 26, 2016 11:08 PM MST

• yup.   according to  National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. even  they are convinced enough to actually make it a LAW to  make bikes   louder and establish a minimum  noise level. 

":Whether or not a vehicle can be easily detected by the sound it makes is a product of vehicle type, vehicle speed, and ambient sound level. Quieter vehicles, such as EVs and HVs, can reduce pedestrians’ ability to assess the state of nearby traffic and, as a result, can have an impact on pedestrian safety. EVs and HVs may pose a safety problem for pedestrians, in particular pedestrians who are blind or visually impaired and who therefore rely on auditory cues from vehicles to navigate. For these pedestrians, the primary safety issue arises when an HV or EV operates quietly using its electric motor for propulsion at low speeds. This is also the case when other auditory cues, such as the noise from the vehicle’s tires and wind resistance, are less noticeable. "

you can read the NHTSA’s full analysis by opening this PDF.

i;m sure thry will be happy to share their  own research  with you too . 

This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at November 26, 2016 11:38 PM MST
      November 26, 2016 11:27 PM MST

@TAW -- Yep, I saw that article, too.

Unlike you, I ACTUALLY READ IT.

The NHTSA study/proposed rule-making applies to VERY QUIET vehicles so that they emit noise in the 40-70 dBA range, giving an ADEQUATE audio cue to surrounding people.

If you're willing to accept a definition of "loud pipes" that's no louder than 70 dB, you'll get no argument from me. Of course, that's NOT the kind of loud pipes MC advocates mean. They advocate for loud pipes which generate 90 dB+. There is NO evidence such loud pipes do anything positive.

Here's an analogy:  If you have size 8 feet, size 4 shoes suck. Size 7 1/2 shoes might come close to what you want. Size 8 shoes are just right. But just because going from size 4 to size 8 makes your feet happy, it DOES NOT imply going to a size 11 shoe will make you even happier. The size 11 shoes are just big and floppy and obnoxious...kind of like Harley Riders (I'm KIDDING!...;-D...).
      November 26, 2016 11:42 PM MST

• Maybe you should read your own post  !!!!

You asked for ANY evidence that loud pipes save lives  .

That  includes  omitting any  wishful  limitations and bs  definitions made by you after the fact .

You also implied  I could not do so  without any evidence the "quite pipes" alternative scenario would have been worse, 

I have done both, and in both  cases   proven you  wrong  .

I also proved you are a liar ,   you stated   “I read that article too “  implying  you read it before-hand .

if so,  your statement    re;  evidence  “ I am not aware of any.“ .   is a lie .  if not  ,   then   stating   you read it  (implying doing so before hand )  was a lie .

now . take the word of an actual Harley rider  who  has witnessed  life saving instances  first hand  on his bike .  ----The  NHTSA  .----  the word of blind people  ,  and people that have actually researched it  …. Etc…etc…etc 

or take the word of a non Harley owning , poster,  who has already  bull$#ted   here , and  has been proven wrong twice in the same thread  .   ;-)  (not to mention contradicting himself and proving himself wrong in the  end ).

Now  , whether  loud pipes  just  irritate  you  ,  or  you are just trying to justify your cute little , weak sounding ,  plaid suit wearing , gentleman’s   Japanese 2 wheel  transport .  or just  pissed  you get teased about it alot  , 

Saying loud  pipes have never saved a life,  is as silly as saying a car horn  has never saved a  life  . 

As per your shoe analogy attempt, you actually  are admitting   the  “to a certain point “   factor .

hence  you already have  evidence  of such .    even   a tiny bit    is covered    under  “ANY”.

You  have now  not only contradicted yourself .  but proven yourself wrong  also .

Vroom vroom .  ;-)

This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at November 27, 2016 8:23 AM MST
      November 27, 2016 2:25 AM MST

• I know many "Harley Riders" and my take it they have it as their personal mission to compensate for the lack of cool you and anyone else that doesn't have to brass balls to put a Hog between their legs and ride.   Not meant to demean you in anyway....just picking up your slack.   
      November 26, 2016 10:30 PM MST

nada...just letting bae know her daddy is home....
      November 26, 2016 11:56 PM MST