Active Now

Malizz
Randy D
Spunky
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Communication » What's in a name you ask? Why would anyone name anything UGG? Ugh! What brainiac thought UGG up and why? UGG is ugly sounding. Right?

What's in a name you ask? Why would anyone name anything UGG? Ugh! What brainiac thought UGG up and why? UGG is ugly sounding. Right?

Posted - November 28, 2016

Responses

Our youngest daughter once looked at something, say a glass, on the table during lunch.  She was four or five years old and asked, "Why do they call it a glass?"  We answered that everything has to have some kind of a name so people will know what they are talking about.  She then asked, "How about blah-blah."  That would work, I answered.  Now whenever we don't know the name of something we call it blah-blah.  It's been a running joke among us all these years.  Maybe we should change the name blah-blah's to UGG(?)
      November 28, 2016 10:37 PM MST

I  dunno CMI but have you SEEN the UGG boots? They were the rage for awhile and may still be for all I know and they are truly batsh** ugly. I don't get it. Thank you for your reply! Your daughter was precocious methinks. When I can't think of a word I say "dojigger" or "thingy". Jim always knows what I mean. :)
      November 29, 2016 3:52 AM MST

"Dohocker" also works.  There are dohockers that you can buy to hold up mirrors and similar things.  We had an aerial photograph in our office once being held up by these.  A friend asked once if that photo was being held up by dohockers that he could rotate to take the photo down.  I said yes, the picture was being held up by "dual rotating dohockers." 
      November 29, 2016 2:32 PM MST

Is that a cousin of doohickey? I seem to recall using that word too. I just looked it up and it's in the dictionary! Yep it is! Imagine that?  Dohocker/doohocker isn't.  Did you know there actually are "whatnots"? The English language is colorful to say the least isn't it?  Thank you for your reply CMI and Happy Wednesday! :)
      November 30, 2016 3:38 AM MST

I agree; totally stupid name.HOWEVER IT GOT YOU THINKING AND POSTING A QUESTION HERE!!

obviously whoever thought it up wanted it to be catchy and kinda dumb.....that's the kind of people we have nowadays!!!!
      December 18, 2016 12:04 PM MST