Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Randy D
Discussion » Questions » answerMug » Heading Cartoon: Am I Missing The Joke??

Heading Cartoon: Am I Missing The Joke??

Come on someone, put me out of my misery!

Well, all right, it's not that dramatic and certainly not serious. I'm just intrigued, in a totally light-hearted way.

So:

What on Earth is that
Sandra & Woo cartoon at the head of the page about?

We see a young woman who, to use the correct, modern Claire in the Community lingo, seems to suffer from Acute Species Dysphoria; and her boyfriend, a nut-cake addict who believes he can cast magic spells with ordinary cutlery. I hope the so-called "religious right" don't get him - you know, the supposedly-grown-ups who had severe attacks of the vapours over the children's Harry Potter stories.

Go on - I don't get the joke! Does it refer to an American children's game or something?

:-)))

PS: Claire in the Community: a BBC Radio Four situation-comedy that started as, and still is, a newspaper cartoon strip, about a team of urban social-workers and their own personal problems, sorry, "issues". Claire is the team-leader who prissily spouts all the right PC / Sociology waffle but like the rest of the team, her private life is not much less mixed-up than those of their clients.
X

Posted - November 30, 2016

Responses

What page?  What cartoon?  Sandra Woo?
      November 30, 2016 1:01 PM MST

Are we seeing totally different pages then?

I'll describe how AnswerMug presents itself to me on my computer.....

At the top of the first page in the discussion-page is a narrow, black border holding the user-name, notifications icon, Sign In, etc. Under it is a broad, dark-blue title banner, with the 'Answer Mug' name and the main site menu.

Below that is a white space labelled "User Dashboard" (daft term!), containing the file-path to here: "Discussions > Questions . Answermug > ... "

Below that again is another tool-bar then the box for the question itself. 

The cartoon is in the "User Dashboard", and it's not "Sandra Woo" but "Sandra And Woo", adding that it is " - a web-comic about food, love and other important stuff." So it says. I've no idea if the title is a link to other Sandra & Woo cartoons - I am wary of trying it lest I vanish into some sort of digital answer to Narnia. According to the cartoon I see, Sandra claims she's a "sabre-toothed squirrel" despite appearances, and Woo counters by claiming he can protect his precious nut-cake (no comment) from her by the two crossed table-forks he is brandishing at her.

If you don't see them, that suggests that somehow, different users see different versions of this site. Which seems odd, but nothing surprises me in the parallel world that is the Internet!
      November 30, 2016 4:10 PM MST

• What cartoon?  No cartoon.
      November 30, 2016 4:44 PM MST

Very odd!

I asked originally in an entirely light-hearted manner, assuming it's meant to be there, but if others can't see it then I assume it's not something AnswerMug or one of its sponsors has added. Though if it was, it's hard to see its purpose, if indeed it has any: the picture and dialogue I see have no obvious joke, direction or point, though might be a sample from a longer cartoon-strip.  

Where the Hell is it coming from, then? 

On my display it's directly under the line starting "Discussion >> Question... " It's there every time I open AM, so it's not something that has just arrived.

Just as well I have not tried to see if any part of it is a link, in case it's actually an attack.

JA: any ideas?

I don't know if I can copy & paste the image here: let's try it.

Discussion » Questions » answerMug » Heading Cartoon: Am I Missing The Joke??

<!-- Project Wonderful Ad Box Code -->
    A webcomic about love, food and other important stuff
    This post was edited by Durdle at November 30, 2016 5:24 PM MST
      November 30, 2016 5:18 PM MST

Oh Ruddy 'Ell! On mine at least it filled the page below the cartoon with displayed code! It gives the source in that: something called "www - projectwonderful - com". I've managed to delete most of it, not only because it was clutter but also the "running" icon (little ring of dots) was operating in 2 or 3 places among it, rather worryingly. I'm beginning to think it's a virus-carrier of some sort. I'll set my security software going.....

This post was edited by Durdle at November 30, 2016 5:27 PM MST
      November 30, 2016 5:20 PM MST

Oh! Latest! Only just spotted this. It's been changed to an advert for Pokémon characters, so it may have been legit all along, but why it's on my computer and not others, I can't imagine.

Anyway I let "Bullguard" (anti-virus) loose on my computer, and three hours later it told me my computer is safe and did not report flushing anything out.
      December 3, 2016 6:34 PM MST

It's one of our ads. I use a company called Project Wonderful for the ads on the tops of the pages. The ads vary based on country. Project Wonderful is cool in that it started out as an ad platform for web comics, so most of the ads we get are for online comic strips and blogs. It's not sales-related. Because the ads are designed by the people who write the comic strips (artsy folks) they tend to be offbeat and a little curious. They crack me up a lot of the time.

I use Project WOnderful because the ads are not usually sales-related, they support micro-entrepreneurs, and we get paid largely based on the number of page loads- it doesn't matter if people click. 

They're odd, but harmless. 

This one seems to be doing a play on Pokemon or something. I don't get it, but somebody somewhere is cracking up, I'm sure.

PS
    It's better to message me if you have concerns. I don't see everything in the Q&A and I'd hate to overlook something. 
      December 3, 2016 6:54 PM MST