Active Now

Spunky
Danilo_G
Malizz
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Babies and Kids » RESEMBLANCES???

RESEMBLANCES???

For years I've hear, as a general rule, that boys usually resemble their moms and girls their dads.

does anyone else think this may be true?

OF COURSE there are exceptions.

I know I was always told I resembled my mom, esp. when I was a'little kid'.........I'm 75 now.....(!!!!)

but just want to see what others out there think about this.

Have YOU ever  been told you resemble your mom or dad??????

Posted - December 4, 2016

Responses

• I don't, no. Coincidence, surely.

I resemble both, though never was told that.
      December 4, 2016 12:45 PM MST

• Actually I don't think there is any pattern to this.. it's random.. I resembled my mum, (lol obviously she was utterly gorgeous like me :P)and my daughter resembles me.. which seriously p*sses her off :P  

I don't think my sons look like me at all.. seriously not.. and they don't look much like their dad either...

Just random I think.. strong physical characteristics tend to get passed on
      December 4, 2016 1:09 PM MST

• It does seem more random to me, though it may be easier to notice the features of the opposite gender parent in the child since they may stand out more. So it just depends. My mom is Japanese and my dad is white and I look like a pretty good combination of both of them. 
      December 4, 2016 1:35 PM MST

It's random.
      December 4, 2016 2:24 PM MST

My son looks like me but my daughter looks like neither of us.
      December 4, 2016 3:11 PM MST

• Strangely you're right and wrong. I know many a woman type who are the spitting image of their mothers and yet I always think I look more like my father.
    This could be a psychological trick, because maybe he looked like his mother ergo I resemble my grandmother as much as my father.
    There is one possibility I am loathed to acknowledge, that I look like my mother.
      December 4, 2016 3:17 PM MST

• Nup. I think it's a lot more random than that.
    If a genetic trait is dominant it is three times more like to be expressed than its recessive pair.
    For instance, if a homozygous black stallion mates a homozygous bay mare three years in a row, out of three foals, only one is likely to be black.
    That said, this average was worked out (and later confirmed by the study of the genomes) based on huge numbers of cases.
    So because the way genes combine is as random as roulette, there is a remote chance that all three foals might be black.
    Some genetic characteristics are sex-linked so, in those cases, one can expect that the girls will look a bit more like their mothers, and boys their fathers. When this is the case, it is usually the mother who is the carrier and transmitter of the gene.
      December 4, 2016 6:24 PM MST

I look more like my dad than my mom, but my sisters don't really look like either of them.
      December 5, 2016 11:43 AM MST