Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Physically speaking, what's the toughest thing you've ever done?

Physically speaking, what's the toughest thing you've ever done?

Posted - December 9, 2016

Responses

I would walk 5 miles to work and wait tables for 2 shifts and walk home. 
      December 9, 2016 7:59 PM MST

• Ouch! That's doing it tough. You must have been very fit.
      December 9, 2016 8:09 PM MST

I was more fit before I started that routine.   It was brutal. 
      December 9, 2016 8:13 PM MST

Commercial fishing:  Leave the dock at 4:00 AM, motor southeast for three hours, catch fish from 7:00 to 5:00, gut 800 lbs. (on the average day) of fish on the way back, rinse off the boat and soap the deck until 9:00 PM, go home to sleep.  Return to the boat at 8:00 the next morning, sell the catch, unload it (800 lbs. mind you) and haul it to the fish house, finish washing the boat, divide the money, and go home around 1:00 PM.
      December 9, 2016 8:48 PM MST

• Yow! I can see why they call you Ishmael. At 800 lbs a day, how many days would have need to go out to catch the equivalent weight of Moby Dick?

Tough life, Ishmael.
      December 9, 2016 10:42 PM MST

Recover from a major surgery which later had complications. Thankfully They got everything.
      December 9, 2016 9:29 PM MST

• It can be a long, hard grind, Gator. Glad it worked out ok in the finish.
      December 9, 2016 10:42 PM MST

Go Gator!
      December 10, 2016 7:19 PM MST

• Don't know which one to choose.
    Narrowly survived three murder attempts (trapped on sailing boat) by bi-polar man having manic psychotic episode.
    20k hike on Mt Buller - nearly died of hypothermia.
    Three days on feet and working without sleep to get a sculpture show ready in time for the opening.
    Late onset miscarriage - eight hours labour - Dr said same as giving birth to baby.
    Endurance ride - Friday catapulted off a young horse - broke 4 ribs - walked back to camp, packed up, loaded horse in float and drove home - Monday collapsed unconscious with punctured lung.
      December 9, 2016 9:49 PM MST

• Hartfire, you are one tough lady. I'm glad you survived those murder attempts (and isn't there going to be a story there) but the broken ribs and punctured lung -- that's extreme. The ribs would be painful enough on their own but the punctured lung on top was dangerous.
      December 9, 2016 10:45 PM MST

• Physically tough up to a point. I can endure patiently when I have to, but these days I now understand that physical pain is a warning that must be diagnosed.
    Emotional pain is a different matter. Until six years ago, I was a wimp about it. Now I understand that its role is the same as for all other pain and that it too deserves investigation of the underlying needs.
      December 10, 2016 12:02 PM MST

• It's almost certainly recovering from near fatal encephalitis, something that's still ongoing.  Otherwise, it's probably planting lettuce for an 8 hour shift in a high heat greenhouse in the early '90s.

If you want to know how it's done, stand up and spread your legs as wide apart as you can, then bend over and touch the ground in front of you with your hands.  Place seedling tray between legs and get to work.  One 'house' = 16 x 16 x 12 plants and £10.  Stay like that for the shift in temperatures hovering around 110 f.  If you're good and your hamstrings hold up you can clear a house every 45 minutes.

Horrible job!
      December 10, 2016 5:00 AM MST

• Ouch! I can imagine the damage that must do to your body long-term. These days it takes me five minutes to pick up something from the floor, and then I can't get up again.

Sorry to hear about the encephalitis. It's must have been horrible. Is there any chance it will clear away and leave yoiu normal again?
      December 10, 2016 10:59 AM MST