Active Now

Malizz
Spunky
Zack
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » Have you ever wanted to try a different religion to see what it is like?

Have you ever wanted to try a different religion to see what it is like?

I like studying about World Religions. I would like to try Judaism and Hinduism, to start with. I saw a huge church riding on the highway yesterday. It was called "The Light of the World". (It was in Spanish.)I had never heard of it before so I looked it up. It was different from any church I had ever heard of. Churches are full of interesting architecture, traditions, and ideologies. 

Posted - December 12, 2016

Responses

I prefer the one that puts all the facets together and gives a much better idea of the whole.
      December 13, 2016 10:52 AM MST

@Jakob, I enjoyed reading about this temple. It reminds me of the Rothko Chapel here in Houston, where all faiths are welcomed to come in to meditate. We need more faith like this in the world. They are advocates of peace. Thank you for the photo, too! 
      December 13, 2016 11:21 AM MST

Hello M:

In my formative years, my family was Reformed Jews..  That means LIBERAL.  In my last year of religious school, every Sunday we visited a different church to see HOW they practiced their faith..  We visited Shinto temples, Catholic churches, Holy Rollers, Whirling dervishes, Evangelicals, and people who spoke in tongues....   Practically the WHOLE shooting match.. We were EXPOSED to ALL of them..

I LOVED it..  I absolutely LOVED it.  In some of them, we couldn't even see what was going on because there was so much smoke and incense...  I'm SOOOO glad I got to experience that..

excon This post was edited by excon at December 13, 2016 11:06 AM MST
      December 13, 2016 11:03 AM MST

@Excon, you are soooo lucky to have visited all those temples and churches. I am in Houston, surrounded by all the religions and cults of the whole world. I went to see a huge Hindu temple. We couldn't go inside, as construction was going on. The Islamic community has programs they invite the public to, but I haven't had an opportunity to go. I went to the Rothko Chapel, where all religions are welcomed to meditate. It is beautiful when you see people from all faiths come together without killing each other. I would love to see the whirling Dervishes. Thanks for a most interesting answer! 
      December 13, 2016 11:16 AM MST

Light of the world (La luz del mundo) very well know protestant denomination in my community. 
      December 18, 2016 11:42 PM MST

Been there done that and am happy to say that I lived thru all of them.
    I don't like to be told what to do and I am much happier to be on my own.
      December 19, 2016 4:00 PM MST

I don't JOIN them, but I do study them thoroughly.  Kind of a lifetime hobby of mine.

I have studied in depth Catholicism, Hinduism, Wicca,  The Old Religion,  Zoroastrianism, Sufi, some Mormon, some Jehovah, some Islam and guess what?  Basically they all are the same at the root of it.  It is an attempt to reach and follow God in his/her many forms.    God is not a gender, but encompasses both masculine and feimine energies of course.

December 19, 2016 4:04 PM MST

Have you ever wanted to try a different religion to see what it is like?
    I like studying about World Religions. I would like to try Judaism and Hinduism, to start with. I saw a huge church riding on the highway yesterday. It was called "The Light of the World". (It was in Spanish.)I had never heard of it before so I looked it up. It was different from any church I had ever heard of. Churches are full of interesting architecture, traditions, and ideologies.
    =========================================================

1- Don't forget to try Islam. Many from different walks of life and from different religions have. Below are just two examples. One is an ex Catholic from America while the other one is an ex atheist from Australia. Both tried various faiths before Islam.

2- One of the things that makes Islam unique and appealing to common sense is its teaching that God cares for the guidance of all humanity without favouring a particular race, time or place. He did not wait till Moses, or Jesus or Mohammed was born to give people guidance. That means ALL peoples who ever they were and wherever they were, had guidance from God, and that Noah, Abraham, Moses, Jesus and Mohammed were just a few greats among the huge number of conveyors of guidance from God.

December 22, 2016 7:06 PM MST

Not since I have found the truth as laid out in scripture.
    (John 8:32) and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”
    (John 17:17) Sanctify them by means of the truth; your word is truth.
    (Ephesians 4:5) one Lord, one faith, one baptism;
      December 23, 2016 7:25 AM MST