Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Death and Dying » When you die, how long do you think it would take for someone to realize somethng is wrong and go looking for you

When you die, how long do you think it would take for someone to realize somethng is wrong and go looking for you

Posted - December 13, 2016

Responses

• My husband and I have plans to exit life before the worst of old age claims us.
    But before then it is possible that I could have a fatal accident with the tractor while out slashing the grass on the hills, or be bitten by a brown snake, or struck by lightning (nearly 800 strikes recorded in 8 hrs last week during a storm - the iron in the ancient volcanic soils draws the strikes.)
    If this happened it could take several hours before my husband would come looking. Normally, I am not out for more than three to five hours at a stretch, but he is often busy with his own affairs, so it would take a while for him to notice and wonder. Then he would panic, and once he found me I don't think he would cope well.
    Thank you for writing this question.
    I'm going to write a few sets of contingency plans, put one copy where he can always find it, and give the others to his and my friends.
      December 13, 2016 3:26 AM MST

i don't have a plan let alone have a contingency plan. Guess I'd better get started huh. 
      December 22, 2016 5:56 PM MST

• We have no family left, so our friends know our plans. We have written up our wills, our Advanced Health Directives, and appointed the various functionaries - but I'd never thought about that moment, of possible discovery in an accident or emergency -- the transition time between discovery and when the legal documents kick in. We have no family left, so our friends know our plans. Ari would definitely need specific friends he'd feel comfortable to call in an emergency - ones who live nearby.

It's the truth. We never know when the unexpected might happen.

This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at December 24, 2016 9:14 AM MST
      December 22, 2016 6:07 PM MST

You have quite a few plans in place now. People don't really like to think anout these kinna things, but it's pretty important to have all your ducks in a row, so to speak. 
      December 22, 2016 6:27 PM MST

• It's true. People evade and procrastinate facing the possibilities of what is actually inevitable. 
    When I worked in aged care, I saw what happens when people don't specify their wishes.
    Usually it leads to bitter quarrels between relatives over what should be done for the helpless elder, and who has the right or responsibility.
    If there have been ancient resentments and injuries, the younger generation often swarm like crows around the property and seek revenge.
    When it gets really bad, bureaucracy and law steps in and takes over, and all choices are removed.

December 24, 2016 9:22 AM MST

I totally agree. Even with directives, it doesn't prevent "swarmers" or those that want to run the "show" themselves. I
    know from experience.

Yes, it's always better to have directives, than not, as long as people realize it's not foolproof. It's quite possible it may not go according to the deceased's wishes.  I'm not sure how that can be avoided in the event greedy relatives behave more like vultures than decent people. 

December 27, 2016 11:24 AM MST

About a week. 
      December 13, 2016 4:29 AM MST

Believe me, you'll know soon enough, I give it less than a week. 

~

December 13, 2016 5:50 AM MST

Seriously?   I live by myself (for now) and no one drops by all that much.   My friend, Cindy would notice, but she calls here a lot and I don't answer. People know I am kind of a hermit when I am at home.  And I smell like flowers.
      December 13, 2016 6:10 AM MST

You might smell like flowers now, but that'll change rather quickly. 
      December 22, 2016 6:23 PM MST

Better stock up on some room fresheners. Lol
      December 22, 2016 5:59 PM MST

• When he's hungry.
      December 13, 2016 5:52 AM MST

Lol!

"Where's my sandwich?"
    ~
      December 13, 2016 5:56 AM MST

• I haven't gone yet, that was just opportunism. 
      December 13, 2016 6:05 AM MST

Whew!
    ~
      December 13, 2016 6:08 AM MST

Sounds like you won't have to wait too long. A lot sooner than me, I must say. 
      December 22, 2016 6:00 PM MST

They say after six months bill collectors begin to query and signs of neglect and decay become obvious to onlookers.
      December 13, 2016 5:57 AM MST

• I sincerely hope my signs of decay take a bit quicker to be spotted. Hm, after 6 months of waiting for his sandwhich he finally gives that rotting carcass a prod with a stick .. and it owes money..
      December 13, 2016 6:14 AM MST

If someone would wait 6 months for their roast beef sandwich, I'd have to question your sandwich making skills. Lol
      December 22, 2016 6:19 PM MST

• Pesky little devils, sandwiches, aren't they. Who said anything about roast beef?  )
      December 23, 2016 3:04 AM MST

Moi. :)
      December 23, 2016 4:51 AM MST

I live in the country with no close neighbors, at least close enough to notice. 

I have my regular bills on auto pay, and I have auto deposits, so no bill collectors are gonna be knocking at my door.  Uh oh, sounds like I better start thinking of a plan sooner rather than later. Lol. 
      December 22, 2016 6:14 PM MST

You have traded security for convenience. The security of a built in alert system in the event you should be missing or incapacitated is lost. The alert for when the money is gone is still there.
      December 23, 2016 4:45 AM MST

I guess when ur pushing up daisies, neither matters. 
      December 23, 2016 4:54 AM MST