Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Arts » Does all contemporary art have to be about pop culture or select subjects?

Does all contemporary art have to be about pop culture or select subjects?

Contemporary art speaks in many languages. Most of it seems to be about pop culture. I wonder if you can have contemporary art about old subjects and still be called contemporary art, if it uses similar ideas. 

Contemporary art subject ideas: (Usually)
1. Identity
2. Video art
3. Appropriation 
4. Conceptional ideas
5. Minimalism
6. Performance art.
7. Pop art

I would like to see Monet's Impressionism in contemporary art! 

Posted - December 13, 2016

Responses

I get lost in all these definitions.  To me if you take what I "think" is contemporary art, I think they are speaking of a reflection of a certain era now gone by.   If it were still contemporary today?   I guess if you follow the dictates you set up, numbered, that would still apply.   Today's art can be contemporary provided it follows those easily-followed laws.

If you add Monet, I would say that follows more conceptual art.  Like taking something and making an out of the box statement with it.   Or not.   What do I know? I only do the stuff, I don't study it.  That is why I listen to you. 
      December 13, 2016 2:03 PM MST

@S., I will ponder on the subject. Thanks! 
      December 13, 2016 2:41 PM MST

I think I was b.s.ing.  Not certain.
      December 13, 2016 3:04 PM MST

Old art used to be contemporary.
      December 13, 2016 3:07 PM MST

• I think art is free.. it's continually evolving and it has to or people will switch off.. who knows your ideas could be the next new craze.. you could be famous...if you believe in something keep doing it...remember even Van Gogh wasn't popular when he was alive.. do what you feel is right and nuts to anyone who doesn't appreciate it.
      December 13, 2016 3:11 PM MST

• I think art is free.. it's continually evolving and it has to or people will switch off.. who knows your ideas could be the next new craze.. you could be famous...if you believe in something keep doing it...remember even Van Gogh wasn't popular when he was alive.. do what you feel is right and nuts to anyone who doesn't appreciate it.
      December 13, 2016 3:11 PM MST

• I think it just has to be contemporary.
      December 13, 2016 3:45 PM MST

• Contemporary art can have universal subjects and can be more abstract; it doesn't necessarily need to be immediately post-modern in relevance. 
      December 13, 2016 8:29 PM MST

I've never understood phrases like "post-modern" - does it mean in the future? - and "relevance" of art. Basic style classifications are useful, but why does art have to fit cubby-holes like entries on a menu-driven database? Why does it have to be "relevant" - to whom and how?

If artists spent as much time waffling about these as the critics do, they'd get nowt done!

I hope only that artists continue to produce the visual or performing works they like, whether or not I like it. I don't want labels, though would like explanations sometimes, just my own aesthetic reaction. Irrespective of taste, I celebrate genuine creativity and skill, not critics' label-machines and creative laziness.
      January 13, 2017 4:00 PM MST