Active Now

Malizz
Randy D
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Politics » Rick Perry says Texas is going to be really happy getting nuclear waste to store in Texas, when he is Secretary of Energy?

Rick Perry says Texas is going to be really happy getting nuclear waste to store in Texas, when he is Secretary of Energy?

Just how dumb is he? Oh, Lord! I'll sent you a photo I took when I was in Big Bend of people protesting a natural gas pipeline being built to send the gas to Mexico from West Texas. There already is a big waste dump near the border of Texas and New Mexico. Besides that, there is a huge aquifer under all of that in West Texas. They will ruin the water supply! One thing for sure---the people of Texas are not happy. Only the billionaires. 

Posted - December 13, 2016

Responses

What a sick s.o.b.
      December 13, 2016 7:44 PM MST

• "the people of Texas are not happy. Only the billionaires. "

Well of course.  :)  We can't expect people who don't live in the real world to care about it, and because the entire system is essentially oriented towards money in the US, candidates for high office are often taken from this group.

So we get a revolving door of billionaires, multi-millionaires, magnates, etc, etc managing the nation's economy, as anyone would, with what they know.  Unfortunately, what many of them know is very little outside their areas of expertise.  Certainly they can't be expected to have any understanding of how Mr & Mrs Average live, so if there are issues they rely on being told about them.

But if a large amount of their time is spent preparing to hold their jobs at the next election (ie, getting campaign funds in) how much can they spend listening to issues and doing their real jobs for the people who vote for them?  'Less' is the fairest answer I can give and I can't see anyone being happy with that - including, perhaps, the politicians themselves.
      December 13, 2016 7:56 PM MST

Here in Florida, a large corporation wanted to build a residential development on a barrier island.  In county commission meetings, many residents opposed the idea against the clear will of the commission.  The locals finally got enough signatures to have development of the island brought to a vote in which it was voted down on the basis that there were not enough evacuation routes leading away from the island.  The County Commission then worked around the referendum by doing something such as changing the emergency evacuation requirements (something like that) saying, "The people don't know what's good for them."  That pretty well sums up what I think most politicians believe.  They don't care what we think is good for us because we don't know any better.
      December 13, 2016 9:54 PM MST