Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » BEFORE people vote they should have access to all pertinent information. Nothing should be withheld/hidden. Why isn't that a given?

BEFORE people vote they should have access to all pertinent information. Nothing should be withheld/hidden. Why isn't that a given?

Posted - December 14, 2016

Responses

The election is over.  The electoral college is not the election. 
      December 14, 2016 5:08 AM MST

You have no problem with Putin being DIRECTLY INVOLVED with how the hacked info was to be used against Hillary to benefit Trump, do you? They have PROOF of this and yet you ignore it completely. Don't you care at all that Trump "won" because Russia, our great enemy, intervened behind the scenes and got involved to shake up our election and get the outcome they wanted? Why? Thank you for your reply m2c and Happy Thursday to thee.
      December 15, 2016 6:13 AM MST

Like you said voters should have all information that is pertinent to the election. The information is not being challenged. 
    Pres Obama also tried to interfere with Israel's election to prevent Benjamin Natenyahu's reelection. 
      December 15, 2016 6:21 AM MST

Need to know.
      December 14, 2016 5:43 AM MST

• Yes but who decides this?   It's entirely subjective.
      December 14, 2016 11:14 AM MST

I think Electoral College members should have access to everything the  CIA has uncovered vis a vis the Putin/Russian involvement in hacking and the use of the info. It has just been that Putin was DIRECTLY INVOLVED in how the hacked info was to be used. As if we had doubt about that. I think before they vote they should read it. It may not change HOW they vote but at least they will be informed. Thank you for your reply Glis.
      December 15, 2016 6:08 AM MST

And if the electoral college were to produce a tie vote, what sort of information should the members of the final decision group use to make their decisions?
      December 14, 2016 11:40 AM MST

Actually if there is a tie it would go to the House of Reps and that is Republican right now to it is still Pres Trump.
      December 14, 2016 11:42 AM MST

Isnt' it 535 members? An uneven number? Here's why I asked the question. I think the Electoral College members should have access to everything the CIA uncovered vis a vis the Russian/Putin hacking of Dem info and how it was released/leaked/used against Hillary to benefit Trump. Apparently they have PROOF that Putin was directly involved. As if that's a surprise. Maybe having the knowledge won't change how they vote but at least they will be informed. How is that a bad thing? Thank you for your reply tom! :)
      December 15, 2016 6:10 AM MST

There are 538...that is why the number to win is 270.  A tie would be 269-269. 
    I believe drawing attention to the emails is the last thing a Clinton supporter would want to do. And if they are going to get ALL the information the emails are a huge part of that. No matter who hacked and released them. 
      December 15, 2016 6:30 AM MST

• It's hidden Rosie, because if people actually knew what their elected representatives did, they'd never vote again.  Ever.

That's the PR reason.  There are others.  Much as I might not like to say so, governments do have access to information that should not be in the public domain.  This is one of the biggest issues with the Trump election and there have already been instances that are questionable to say the least concerning his communications and their effect on the markets.

So, two good reasons.  You don't want to know and you shouldn't get to know.  Seems odd I'll admit, but I do sincerely think there are some areas of government that the public are best left out of.  I would agree with anyone saying there should be more areas of public life and government that should be easier to access information about, but some stuff is best left unsaid.
      December 14, 2016 12:37 PM MST

Newest info is that Putin DIRECTED how the hacked Dem info would be used to most benefit PET. So Putin was directly involved. As if we all didn't already know that. Here's why I asked that question. Monday, December 19, the Electoral College votes to make it official. I think they should have access to ALL that the CIA has uncovered vis a vis the Russian involvement in the hacking/attacking. Let them see exactly how and why PET got where he is. Installed by Putin as the Russian equivalent of a Manchurian Candidate. I have no doubt about that. It may not change how they vote vote but at least they will be informed. Ignorance leads to terrible things. So does indifference. I don't know which is worse, do you? Thank you for your thoughtful answer MrWitch and Happy Thursday. There are scary times ahead. :(
      December 15, 2016 6:06 AM MST

• While I have little to argue with in your reply Rosie, I would still maintain that if what governments do (and don't do) were fully known it would have people either on the streets in protest or so disgusted by the whole shebang that they would never go near politics again in any way.

This article might help explain why I think so.  It sets out quite clearly why nobody has the right to any kind of moral high ground in international relations.  :)

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/samantha-power-un-us-ambassador-america-syria-aleppo-massacres-srebrenica-rwandan-genocide-bizarre-a7476556.html This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at December 15, 2016 7:31 AM MST
      December 15, 2016 7:12 AM MST

Who decides what is pertinent (or impertinent)? The media did a very good job in slanting the pertinent information in favour of Clinton or Remain (to cite the most recent votes), but the people saw through it.

If you released what I considered pertinent it would be too much for most folk.  
      December 14, 2016 1:02 PM MST

You realize this would not help Hillary. They would have to read all the leaked emails. Yes knowing that they may have been released by Russia but the emails are much more damaging.....and no one is disputing their authenticity. 
      December 15, 2016 6:13 AM MST