Active Now

Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Electronics » Did you ever have a TV with wood around it?

Did you ever have a TV with wood around it?

Posted - December 16, 2016

Responses

• When I was little.  Big wood floor cabinet with built in speakers, turntable, tape and 8-track deck.   The whole nine.  It was awesome actually.   Looked really nice. Miss that kind of stuff.
      December 16, 2016 3:26 PM MST

And it probably worked forever.

I just got a new TV and realistically expect it to only last a few years. My last one lasted 13 years and probably could be repaired if that knowledge still existed.

I do like the bigger screen. But everything now is disposable.
      December 16, 2016 7:17 PM MST

My 27" Zenith TV is at least 35 years old.  I've never needed service and it has never given me a moment's trouble.  I doubt anything you buy today will last half that long.
      December 16, 2016 10:35 PM MST

• Yup, it did and when something went wrong on it, old man would fix it. Cathode ray displays are pretty robust.
      December 17, 2016 1:28 AM MST

• Oh wow yours had a turntable, tape and 8 track??  Cool, ours didn't!
      December 16, 2016 8:06 PM MST

• It was the size of a couch and solid wood.  I can remember when my father got rid of it.  It took him and two other people to get it out and there was lots of yelling.
      December 17, 2016 1:31 AM MST

Our first color TV was a big wooden box, heavy heavy oak, with a 19" TV and a big side panel of controls.  It wasn't called portable or a console, it was called a "table model."  My husband was so thrilled with it that he subscribed to this new thing called "cable television" where you didn't have to watch commercials because you were compensating the companies directly.  How wonderful!!!!  What the heck happened?
      December 16, 2016 3:38 PM MST

Apple.
      December 16, 2016 7:15 PM MST

Yes long ago
    twas a Sony
    rear projection, big, heavy
    raise up the table top 
    and it was a curved screen TV.
    Four strong guys to move it.
    ...gave it away
    too much space
    it took up.
      December 16, 2016 4:19 PM MST

No.  At first I couldn't even understand this question.  I thought you were just being silly lol until my hubby who's older than me said his family's TV was in a giant wood frame when he was a really little kid.

This post was edited by Livvie at December 17, 2016 1:32 AM MST
      December 16, 2016 8:13 PM MST

Yup.   Back in the day, they were all like that.  Ours was an RCA - box console with a small screen and giant tubes in the back that needed replacing every now and then.  Back then, there was no 24 hours of programming.  At midnight, they would play the Star Spangled Banner and the screen would go to test pattern. This post was edited by SpunkySenior at December 27, 2017 3:08 AM MST
      December 16, 2016 10:38 PM MST

It was "simulated"` wood and yes. My family did have a tv like that.
      December 16, 2016 10:41 PM MST

Our family didn't have a television until, I think, the mid-70s. That probably had a plywood case, as did some of the older radios around the house.

One of our main rooms had a large chimney-breast that created a pair of alcoves against the outer wall, and Dad built a hi-fi system into one of these. The case was effectively two stout shelves, the lower acting as the floor of a cabinet housing the tuner and amplifier, with a cupboard each side for LPs and other related items. The upper shelf, the top of the cabinet, carried the record-player itself. He also owned a reel-to-reel tape-recorder driven by the record-player spindle - its record/playback lead plugged into a socket on the separate amplifier.

In those days, amateur electronics was a popular hobby, with magazines publishing project designs, and component-stockists, easy to find. By "electronics" I mean building, and for some enthusiasts, designing too, circuits from discrete components; not buying ready-made units and just plugging them together.    
      February 7, 2017 6:28 PM MST

• "Yes" ... my first father-in-law sold Curtis Mathes console tvs.

December 27, 2017 3:07 AM MST

When I was a kid, we had one of those big console TV's like the one in Alf's picture. Sat in front of it many a Saturday morning eating my cereal.  
      December 27, 2017 4:31 AM MST